8 in. Civil War cannon Balls ? ( what do you think?)

WW1jager

Greenie
Aug 19, 2007
I have been given these two cannon balls by a 90 year old neighbor, who said that he had them for over 50 years and that he was told that they were civil war cannon balls for an 8” cannon. They are 7 ½ inches in diameter, they are solid (no holes and heavy), by my bathroom scale they are about 65 lbs each. One is marked with a "B (double stamped) and the number 6, the other one is marked with the number "2". Do you guys think?

Attachments

• cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 2,233
Upvote 0
Guys, I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I've handled several cannon balls, and have not seen a letter or number on any of them. You may want to check and see if these aren't possibly Track and Field shot put balls, or something else along those lines. Hope I'm wrong, I don't think so.

we have seen those around here and have been told they were weight for cranes

divedigger -You may be right, I'm not an expert, and I have never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but it don’t make sense to me, why would you make round 65lbs. balls for weight for cranes. I would think that any weights would be made in block or plates, to be stacked and not to roll around.

makes sense to me,they certainly aren't efficient weights,and they are hard to pick up.Wonder about the markings?

I can't figure out the marks ,If they were weights , the numbers would mean something about their weight , but the number are difference , but the weight are the same ?

what I mean about the markings is they don't look like Civil War arsenal marks that are usually stamped

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back