8 1/2 " Long early/mid 1800 torpedo bottle -aqua colored with K on bottom end

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: 8 1/2 " Long early/mid 1800 torpedo bottle -aqua colored with K on bottom end

Ivan ,,,, Most aqua Torpedo bottles were manufactured from the late 1860s-1920.

Regards Simon......

Upvote 0
Re: 8 1/2 " Long early/mid 1800 torpedo bottle -aqua colored with K on bottom end

thanks guys -- guess I'm really looking for the old needle in a hay stack on this one--- I'm trying to hunt down the maker and approxamate date of manufacture of the hamilton torpedo / egg type "ballast bottle" based only on its color --aqua greenish - size 8 1/2 " long -- and a letter K on the bottom--- (pointed end style )-- its body is plain --so its not a rare color embossed high dollar one -- but its just interesting to me as a bit of history -- Ivan

Upvote 0

we have these type bottles on a wreck that went down in the late 1800's ours were marked with aqua da Florida.

Upvote 0

ivan salis said:
thanks guys -- guess I'm really looking for the old needle in a hay stack on this one--- I'm trying to hunt down the maker and approxamate date of manufacture of the hamilton torpedo / egg type "ballast bottle" based only on its color --aqua greenish - size 8 1/2 " long -- and a letter K on the bottom--- (pointed end style )-- its body is plain --so its not a rare color embossed high dollar one -- but its just interesting to me as a bit of history -- Ivan
These types of Torpedos with the pointed ends went out of style around the 1860's they were first introduced by William Hamilton of Dublin in 1809. Such bottles had a pointed bottom and were presented rather grandly in a silver holder that kept the bottle vertical on the table. They were used for much of the 19th century, but their odd shape made them difficult to handle, so around the 1860s, manufacturers began to make straight-sided pop bottles with a rounded bottom. As for the "K" I can't offer any help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back