!700's Silver Knee Buckle Frame, Civil War Era Excelsior Button, Old Lock, and a Marbled Salamander

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the small silver buckle near one of my colonial foundation sites. Not far from where I had earlier found a perfect complete copper knee buckle.

The Excelsior button is mangled in half. Most likely plow damage. The lock is a match to one I found in the general area a couple of years ago. I see quite a few buttons and coins from this era as vets must have worn their old coats into the fields.

I enjoy finding wildlife and this marbled is a secretive member of the genus of mole salamanders, spending most of its life underground. This female happened to be in some log rot I had brushed aside to dig a target. It played possum and pretended to be lifeless. The low frequencies of the detector may have freaked it out. The tail has granular glands which can emit noxious secretions to discourage predators. They also exhibit biofluorescence, glowing green under UV lighting.

Sparse pickings but maybe enough to get me back out detecting tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20240817_202315.jpg
    20240817_202315.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240817_124208.jpg
    20240817_124208.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20240817_101653.jpg
    20240817_101653.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
Upvote 26
Very nice finds
Good luck on your next adventure out there

Nice finds, I like the button and buckle - the Salamander was a bonus !

Found the small silver buckle near one of my colonial foundation sites. Not far from where I had earlier found a perfect complete copper knee buckle.

The Excelsior button is mangled in half. Most likely plow damage. The lock is a match to one I found in the general area a couple of years ago. I see quite a few buttons and coins from this era as vets must have worn their old coats into the fields.

I enjoy finding wildlife and this marbled is a secretive member of the genus of mole salamanders, spending most of its life underground. This female happened to be in some log rot I had brushed aside to dig a target. It played possum and pretended to be lifeless. The low frequencies of the detector may have freaked it out. The tail has granular glands which can emit noxious secretions to discourage predators. They also exhibit biofluorescence, glowing green under UV lighting.

great saves and really like that buckle, big time gratz

Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back