✅ SOLVED 7-20-69 moon landing penny???? Help!

DiggerNick

Greenie
Jul 2, 2013
Northern Michigan
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. I'm still pretty new to the site. I was going through a 25$ penny box I just bought from the bank and found this about half way in. It is 1973 Lincoln, right above is stamped 7-20-69 and has a picture of a what I think is Apollo 11 and there is two astronauts with earth above and to the left. I have never seen this before any help would be awsome!!

Attachments

• image-659369935.jpg
    image-659369935.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 715
  • image-105967755.jpg
    image-105967755.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 637
  • image-808684715.jpg
    image-808684715.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 772
it did not come from the mint like that

Upvote 0
I've no clue??? but do smell a story behind this penny and I'm eager to know what that story is.

Upvote 0
you cannot think it was minted like that?

Upvote 0
you cannot think it was minted like that?

Is it me your asking that, Not at all.... I know my mint key dates and started collecting numismatics in 1967 as a paper boy. I would be paid by the folks on my route on Thursday night collection $2.50 each subscriber. Almost never in bills and many would rob the piggy bank and pay me in all pennies. My best was a 1922 no mint mark I traded with a dealer, years after in Fremont Cailifornia. If it is me you asked this question on. What was it I said that would ever give you the reason I was thinking it was minted like that?..... Lets here it!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!! Never heard of these before. Still curious who made it? How many? Was that legal to stamp it? I need to keep digging.

Upvote 0
Reminds me of the Kennedy penny.. Never seen a moon one though.. neato

Upvote 0
found a 1970 made token recently at a coin store in their junk bin * --cost me $1 * it said contains parts from the CM (command module) and the LM (landing module) when these tokens were made 2 parts that were on the moon spacecraft were put onto the alloy mixture * and thus the tokens actually contain a small amount of metal that went "to the moon" nuts huh? -- a couple years ago I also found a 1986 era "statue of liberty" sears token --in 1986 sears paid to have the statue of liberty copper outer skin replaced for its 100th birthday -- for doing so sears got the "old copper outer skin--the original skin of the statue of liberty-- they had tokens made from it -- it too cost me $1 to get -- I have gave both to my wife who shows them off to her students at school --3rd thru 5th grade --the kids think its cool to see some thing that went to the moon and back and to be able to hold a part of the "original statue of liberty"

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back