6 Union Soldiers Finally Make It Home After 145 Yrs

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Mass. Union soldiers laid to rest in Bourne

Remains of 6 interred in unmarked Virginia graves for 145 years

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060611/NEWS/606110667/1052/RSS01&source=rss

BOURNEā€” Union soldiers thought they would overrun the Confederates and return home victorious in short order. The remains of six, however, did not make it home until yesterday.

The remains were buried at the Massachusetts National Cemetery, 145 years after the men died on a battlefield in Virginia during the early days of the Civil War.

ā€œFor them, it has been a long journey home,ā€ cemetery director Paul McFarland said at a ceremony that drew 200 people despite steady rain. ā€œThe journey started here in Massachusetts. To borrow a phrase often used between our Vietnam veterans, ā€˜Welcome home.ā€™ ā€

Killed days before the first battle of Manassas ā€” a Confederate victory in July 1861 that surprised President Lincoln ā€” their graves were unmarked and undiscovered until the early 1990s, when relic hunters came across bones on a site slated for the construction of a McDonaldā€™s restaurant in Centreville, Va.

Using war records and other clues, including uniform types, they were later identified as members of the 1st Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, although they were buried as ā€œunknownā€ because DNA testing hasnā€™t been done.

A fife and drum band led a hearse carrying the six wooden caskets ā€” each 3 feet long and covered by an American flag ā€” in a procession through the cemetery, where 40,000 other veterans and their spouses, including Iraq war veterans, are interred.

Jerry Casey, 51, said he drove 45 minutes from his Dartmouth home because he didnā€™t want the men to be buried alone. The truck driver said he was saddened last year to see a veteran ā€” the hearse had American flags on it ā€” drive to the cemetery alone.

ā€œThat poor guy, coming down here by himself, no family,ā€ he said. ā€œI saw this (Union soldiers) on the news and said, ā€˜Iā€™ll go down there.ā€™ Iā€™m sure these guys donā€™t have any family.ā€

Indeed, no descendants have been identified yet, which means thereā€™s no DNA matches to be had, resulting in the ā€œunknownā€ burials.

McFarland said the remains were tentatively identified as William A. Smart of Cambridge, Albert F. Wentworth of Chelsea, Thomas Roome of Boston, George Bacon of Chelsea, Gordon Forrest of Malden, and James Silvey of Boston.

ā€œThey have names, but they couldnā€™t match who was who,ā€ he said before the ceremony.

The anonymous burials reportedly didnā€™t sit well with the Virginians who discovered and researched the remains. But Michael Johnson, a Fairfax County archaeologist who led the excavation, said the identification process can continue if family members are found and want to pay for expensive DNA testing.

ā€œIt still can be done through a court order, rather than leave them in a box on a shelf,ā€ said Johnson, who attended the ceremony.

Kevin Ambrose, a member of the Northern Virginia Relic Hunters Association, discovered the unmarked graves. The remains later were turned over to the Smithsonian Institution, where they stayed for about a decade.

Another relic hunter, Dalton Rector, a descendant of a Confederate soldier, spent years researching the identities, and eventually teamed with Bellingham resident Frank Haley, a member of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, to get the remains moved to Massachusetts.

One other Civil War veteran is interred at the Massachusetts National Cemetery, where World War II veterans dominate. The remains of the unidentified soldier were discovered about 10 years ago in South Carolina.

Before yesterday, the most recent burial was Marine Lance Cpl. Patrick J. Gallagher, 27, who died in April in Iraq. Gallagher grew up in nearby Fairhaven.

Attachments

• 6Union.jpg
    6Union.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 491
Upvote 0
Thanks gypsy for the good read and pic.... You know what really grinds my gears? that the government doesn't pay for the DNA testing... These men were US soldiers, plain and simple, and although their remains are 145 years old, they deserve the same respect and dignity that someone who dies today in the military deserves. I'm sure that they would perform DNA tests on an unidentified soldier from Iraq, what makes this any different?

I'm with you crypto they can waste money on a 20,000 dollar hammer but not on something essential as proper ID of remains...

cryptodave said:
Thanks gypsy for the good read and pic.... You know what really grinds my gears? that the government doesn't pay for the DNA testing... These men were US soldiers, plain and simple, and although their remains are 145 years old, they deserve the same respect and dignity that someone who dies today in the military deserves. I'm sure that they would perform DNA tests on an unidentified soldier from Iraq, what makes this any different?

agreed. i doesnt matter to me if they died 16 months ago or 160 years ago, they are still american soldiers and deserve to have an identity.

There Is A Mass Union Grave, Unmarked, 100Yards West Of Fort Lamarr On James Island S.C. These U.S. Soldiers Were Killed In The Battle Of Secessionville On June 2, 1862. It Is Estimated That As Many As 700 Union Soldiers Lay In This Grave. The Government Knows This. My Question Is Why Have These Men Been Forgotten ? trk5capt...

Attachments

• 54br70.gif
    54br70.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 54br70.gif
    54br70.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 430
I once was taking a Sunday drive with my family on the old River Road south of Baton Rouge and suddenly came upon a crowd. I pulled over the car and asked someone what was going on. Apparently, remains of a Union solider had been found on some private property sometime before. The remains were indentified (I don't know if it was from DNA or something else). They had family of the soldier there (he was from Conn.) and they had a full military burial for him. He was reburied where he was found, and the owner of the property agreed to take care of the grave. I guess the soldier's family wanted to keep him where he fell. Anyway, it was a moving experience to witness all of this (from a very respectful distance). We were just going out for a Sunday drive and ended up attending the funeral of a Civil War soldier! I'm more of a Confederate myself, but I respect the Yankees, too! I'll never forget it.

I have to agree with crypto on this, even though I'm more of a Confederate sympathiser, these are 6 men who had families and died doing their duty. I have 2 ancestors that fought during thst time, both cousins, and one was in the infiltry and was buried under a mistaken identity. They later, much later, exhumed his body and made a fresh garve with the right name. It's sad to see that this wasn't made a national effort so that the families could have the possibilty of coming forward to say their gratitudes to the men who found the bodies and to finally have the peice of mind to know that a part of their family history is restored. Very nice article gypsy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back