50 year permission gone, but not before this . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I grew up with civil war trenches in my front yard. Yep. Cold Harbor. Daddy was hunting in the 50s and I started in the 60s. My yard never produced a plate, but buttons from New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut troops and GS eagles in abundance, an unexploded Hodgekiss shell, many frags, and multiple buckets full of bullets. Also a gold political token from Stephen A Douglas' campaign, a Confederate spur . . . wow.

I had to sell my childhood home to pay for my Mother's healthcare. No regrets. The last month, I hunted it every chance I got. Never failed EVER to find at least one CW period item, if only a bullet. With one week to go, I went. I thought, "It would be so cool to pull ONE more button." I found this. NOTHING else. Just this.

DSCN3654.jpg

Then, with two DAYS to go, I had to give it one more try. It was (I promise this is true) It was the ONLY time I ever hunted that yard in 50 years, and found nothing. Zero. Not ONE CW item.

Now I know this isn't accurate, but I was SO thankful - I told myself, "I've gotten everything that my technology would allow me to find." Those of you die-hard CW guys like me will understand what a relief that was to me.

I have permission there no more. And I have no desire to go back. The trenches are still intact. Cleaning out the barn, I found this. Holy cow. Memories of the 1970s.

DSCN3688.jpg

For you newbies, that's a Metrotech "Beep and dig" machine that's nearly 50 years old, modified to be more comfortable to swing. I found my spur, gold token, and many buttons with that.

Near it, I found this. daddy must have stuck it in the barn many years ago.

DSCN3689.jpg

It's a 5-gallon bucket full of frags. Some quite substantial, too.

Lastly, some of you old timers remember the name Mac Mason. he's a Virginia legend, and was a good friend of the family. What you may NOT know, is that he was asked by a professional artist to pose for some paintings. They wanted to use him as a model for a series of prints. He gave daddy a couple of them. (Mac was not a humble guy! Loved to see anything about himself in print!) Check out Mac's face, peeking out of time from 50 years ago, Good times!

DSCN3690.jpg

DSCN3691.jpg

Upvote 54
What great memories you will always have.....and to find that bucket of frags from your Father is amazing.--JB

what makes old memories even better is having physical proof to back them up. glad you found the old machine, can't begin to imagine the flood of memories that went thru your mind. very cool just falls way short, even awesome does too.:headbang:

Great story for great finds! Living there I bet you could almost hear the history of the place. Thanks for sharing it all.

A wonderful story you have shared. Cherish those memories as long as you can!!!! Thanks for sharing!!! :happy3:

Just WOW! NO regrets. NONE. I can't think of a more thoroughly searched piece of dirt than what you have just described. Well done and the memories will be with you till the end my friend.:icon_thumright:

That was one nice post parsonwalker.

The permission may be gone. But.....ahhhhh.....the memories! They're yours forever! Hope you took lots of pictures!

PW - thanks so much for sharing that story. Very touching and reminds many of us why we love this hobby with such passion!

No body will ever have the connection to that place that you have. That and the memories is by far your best finds! Thanks for sharing.

HH, RN

Thanks for the Great post . Even selling the Home you will always have memories, Start somewhere new and make some new great memories, I hope all is well with your Mom!!!!!!

Great story and thank you for sharing. I bet cleaning out that barn brought back so many memories. I grew up in an old home.in VA that I detected every spare minute in the mid 90's... found lots of first there and some of my fondest memories of that house were the countless hours I spent detecting the yard. Maybe one day I'll try and get permission to go back there.

Thank you for sharing the story! :icon_thumright:

Touching story, and quite the sacrifice. Good man, and obviously a good son. May you always find bountiful grounds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back