jenpickle26

Greenie
Oct 4, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Attachments

• IMG_9850.JPG
    IMG_9850.JPG
    946 KB · Views: 148
At first i thought you were talking about my kitchen garbage bag! Well, i dont know what it is really, could be some type of plate for most anything. Are those bottles cork or screw top?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
Part 6627158 just between the thingamabob and the doohickie on something like this, +/- 50 years.

gtw6323.jpg

Or part of the boiler furnace in the stationhouse. There is a LOT of scrap iron around railroads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Old grand dad whiskey flask. I'd guess 50 -60 yrs old. Have you been looking around the railoiad tracks?

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0
Jen , if it is real heavy iron, it could very well be a blade off of a road grader ........................ the holes in it should be square, if it is a grader blade ..............

Upvote 0
jenpickle26. Welcome to the Forum- I also live in Charlotte. Look out for the Railroad Cops, they are nasty, especially in Salisbury and Spencer. They will try to snatch your Detector away from you and take you to Court for Trespassing on the Railroad Right of Way. Can't help on the long Plate- Goldnugget- We have a Great Club close by and have about 50 members. Picture of some of my Beach Finds last year002.JPG

Upvote 0
Jen , if it is real heavy iron, it could very well be a blade off of a road grader ........................ the holes in it should be square, if it is a grader blade ..............
Agree it looks like what's called a cutting edge. On bulldozers, graders, etc the bottom edge of the blade is a replaceable bolt on piece so when it wears out the entire blade dosn't need to be changed. Has scrap value since they are very heavy but not good for much else.

Upvote 0
Could be a timber strap also. We used something similar joining main timbers together with drift pins but the holes look small to spike in the pins.

Upvote 0
Love the flask, but be careful hunting on or near railroad tracks. A few people on this forum have had their gear confiscated and/or been arrested. My understanding is that most these are off limits most of the time.

Upvote 0
I say the long heavy piece is a cutting edge because of the double rows of holes as well. I have changed ALOT of them when working on construction equipment. The 2 rows of holes allows you to flip it when one edge gets worn down. When both edges are badly worn you replace it with a new one.

Upvote 0
I've found variations of similar looking objects along the tracks that were part of the hand brake linkage on rail cars. Been finding them for well over forty years.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back