Dec 21, 2015
SE Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20160212_110421-1 (1).jpg
    20160212_110421-1 (1).jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 180
That would be a chunk of flint that has had flakes removed by man. The brown color is called the cortex or rind. The pieces that were removed likely become tools.

Upvote 0
No it isn't a drill, not a tool either, he is saying a piece or pieces was knocked of it to make a tool, the piece or pieces knocked off were what was used to make something... As example like cutting a tree limb off a tree to make a knife handle, the cut off limb became the tool, not the tree........

Here is picture of flakes that were knocked off a core that became knives..

flake knives.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so you are saying this is not natural stone but a core...

Think of it as bring an apple with a bite taken out...

In other words you have an apple (flint stone)--- an apple with a bite (a flint stone with a chip removed)---and finally the chip became a tool (such as an arrowhead)---

Last edited:
Upvote 0
....but I would think you need more info before saying it was done by hand.

What I mean is, if that type of stone is not native to the area, that is a good clue that it could be.

if it is native and was at the bottom of a ravine with other rocks of the same material, it could have been smashed if it fell.

If it was showing many signs of a failed tool that broke in the wrong spot, then that would lean towards human shaping

otherwise, without more info, it is a broken rock.

Upvote 0
Understand flint chips as it tumbles in streams, creeks ect and pieces come off, pieces also come off from being dropped or hitting each other..... What you posted is a natural rock that someone MAY have knocked pieces off of or it could be mother nature broke it, there is no way to know.

You can't say it is an artifact because there just isn't enough evidence there to say it was man made and not nature that broke the pieces, flint will break like that by nature just like it does by man...... I found hundreds and hundreds of pounds of broken flint pieces while hunting artifacts in Missouri, they were natural breaks not man made breaks.......

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cmenokla, I forgot something that might help you on your land. If you have erosion, or bare areas to see smaller objects; look for a smallish area that has many smaller flakes of what you found. This could go a long way to know if you have found where someone was toolmaking.

Upvote 0
This entire area was once inhabited by the Caddo, Cherokee, and other tribes. Also the Spanish and Vikings. And Yes, I have found many manufacturing sites on my land, and erosion. You all seem to think just because I recently joined this site... I am a naive novice. I have done so much research and and friended many archaeologist who have helped me along. Many of these stones are from the Paleolithic, Neolithic periods and later. NOT ALL STONES show "Flaking, etc" but you can tell they have been worked by markings, hafting, etc. you Experts need to open your eyes and look closer at my stones and others stones. Yes, there may be natural markings on some... you think stone age people and other's never used these stones, shaped and added to them??? You think over time... especially in a creek, time and rolling over and over again does not wear off or smooth over markings once very visible? now mere shadows? my stones are not just from the creek but ALL OVER my land. Wake up folks... not ALL is what it seems.

Upvote 0
As I have stated there are hundreds of years of artifact experience here, I only have 27 years of experience myself, there are many members here with far, far more experience than that.

Upvote 0
This entire area was once inhabited by the Caddo, Cherokee, and other tribes. Also the Spanish and Vikings. And Yes, I have found many manufacturing sites on my land, and erosion. You all seem to think just because I recently joined this site... I am a naive novice. I have done so much research and and friended many archaeologist who have helped me along. Many of these stones are from the Paleolithic, Neolithic periods and later. NOT ALL STONES show "Flaking, etc" but you can tell they have been worked by markings, hafting, etc. you Experts need to open your eyes and look closer at my stones and others stones. Yes, there may be natural markings on some... you think stone age people and other's never used these stones, shaped and added to them??? You think over time... especially in a creek, time and rolling over and over again does not wear off or smooth over markings once very visible? now mere shadows? my stones are not just from the creek but ALL OVER my land. Wake up folks... not ALL is what it seems.

Ma'am, you posted the ?? and asked what is it?
no one said you are a "naive novice"
no one claimed to be an "expert"
we are awake

don't get all worked up when the answer isn't what you want. geeze

Last edited:
Upvote 0
so you are saying this is not natural stone but a core...

If you accept the definition of a core as being a piece being selected to be reduced ..then the piece pictured I would not call a core ,but instead a mass of flintstone or nodule of flint before it was separated from it's very long term previous home. Then broken into the piece you have , that later had pieces broke off it.
The flakes or blades that have been removed I would , if they showed good potential for further reduction towards desired shape ,call cores.
How you piece had blades/flakes knocked off I don't know but the fractures, if that's the right term , look encouraging for further removal of more large pieces .

It is a piece I would be happy with , but it would but at risk of my trying to knock more pieces off from it for less artistic use after poor knapping attempts confirmed I'm no craftsman of stone afterwards.

Upvote 0
Based on your other threads you found what you are looking for, yet you seem to want to disagree. The parts that were broken off could, maybe, might have been used by the Native American for tools and other uses. Then that is a guess on my part.

Upvote 0
not everything you want to believe is true,you need to wake up.

Upvote 0
Here in NW Ark we have as much or more rocks than actual dirt, if a stone has been shaped by man it's usually pretty obvious. There are litterally trillions of rocks on this planet, they can be found in ALL shapes. If you truly think your location has significant artifacts why don't you contact an archeologist and let the whole world learn about it?

Knowledge is the only real treasure nobody can take away.

Upvote 0
Whoa...why so defensive cmenokla? You were asking a question on the forum 'What is it'? Folks were trying to help. I don't think they were digging deep into your profile first to find out if you were an expert. Maybe you should write a book and educate the rest of us.

Upvote 0
Not sure why you didn't like the answers, but I will add this.
I find Neolithic Flints & worked stuff over here in the UK.
I wouldn't even personally have kept it, as its not a tool of any type. Its what I class as a waster or waste piece of flint left over from making other tools. (like many pointed out)
You can tell it was worked by man & not by nature as there is evidence of the 'bulb of percussion' (sometimes called the bulb of applied force).

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back