4 tons of coins

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pcola,

yep thats it.most likely its more nickels then what they said on the news.the truck wrecked in the median so what they dont recover is still gonna be buried in the sand.plus all the coins that rolled all over the place.several years ago near where i live a truck that was full of quarters wrecked on a high way.after they cleaned up the wreckage and scooped up coins with shovels.i went there with my md and found well over a 1000 quarters buried in the sand on the side of the road.theres still more coins there,i just havent had the time to go back.

Its $183,000 in nickels.They were on thier way to the federal reserve in miami,comming from the mint in PA.Secret service people are there watching over the cleanup,no one is allowed near the site.I bet they dont get em all.They cant keep the southbound lames of 95 closed for too much longer.But now its blood money.One of the armed security guards died in the wreck.

John,

They don't even allow hitch hikers to walk the interstate! :nono: :nono: :nono:

I dont think you stand much of a chance getting out with your metal detector and looking for some nickels. :protest: :protest: :protest:

HWy 95 is a public road way,they cant keep you off the grass areas.Cars and trucks break down all the time and are on the side of the road,either fixing them or off getting parts or even Looking for thier parts that fell off in the median or the side of the road.I just wish they were quarters instead of nickles.I guess its time to build that non-ferrous magnet ive been wanting to build.

lets see $183,000 x 20 (nickles per dollar) -- oh thats 3,660,000 nickles --yeh bet their going to miss some --sad that the guard died -- freak accident it happens --in maimi a truck wrecked once carrying quarters --before the secert service boys could get there and secure the site --- the locals from a near by poor area looted lots of quarters --local store folks afterwards reported people paying for lots of stuff in quarters -- since there is no serial numbers like bills --there is no way to prove they came off the govt money shipment once you got it and are away from the site either.

once they leave the site after they finish clean up its fun time. -- ;D

Be careful Fisheye. They've talked about anyone caught hunting the area for nickels and taking any, even one coin, may be brought up on Federal charges.

after they finish their cleaning up and leave * -- they are done with it -- so why should they give a crap --in effect its "abandoned" -- recover it till your done with it and whats left behind is "abandoned" ie fair game -- bunch puss bag legalese that is .

Im gonna go by there tonight and check it out on my way back from my boat.Just had a new battery built for my MD.It now works better then new!

Wow! Awexome story! I sure hope you have some fun shootin' for nickels in a barrel Fisheye ;-)

Do you think mint 2008 nickels with road rash are worth anything to collectors?

Sure, they are very sentimental! The great nickel spill of 2008!

I wonder if you specifically call them that and tried to sell them on eBay if the Fed would seek to shut your auctions down?? Like someone else said though, once they are gone and call off the nickel hounds... they are done! Unless they posted signs around the area for looters to turn in any found coins, I think you should be alright.

The hell with eBay though, I would just fill a jar full of them and print out the story and frame it. Put the two together on a shelf for a great conversation piece!!

psst do this use regular 2008 P nickles (got from a bank)--just like the ones that spilled -- ebay em - as coins " like" the ones in the "famous" nickle truck accident on I 95 -- sell em for a buck-- ditzy folks will buy em --trust me. sad but true--- a 20 fold profeit right off the bat ---of course they will also have pay a nice shipping fee as well (make sure it more that what it actually cost and keep the differance )--old e bay money maker scheme ---to add to your already gross and shameful profiet --(yep rates right up there with 40 million fees for CEO who run their company into bankruptcy that the govt had to bail out --and -- ceo of oil companys and oil companies raking in record profiets as working folks struggle to balance their check book --- time to get some $$$ for yourself ---cuz as pt once said theres a sucker born every min.

and to do the right thing -- donate the amount equal to any taxes owed state fed or otherwize from off every sale made to a fund set up in the armed guard that died name for his family to use * --deduct it from the taxes owed from making money off the deal --so the govt gets zero taxes off it .

http://www.wesh.com/cnn-news/17512089/detail.html

ORLANDO, FL -- Florida State troopers have a message for people digging for nickels along Interstate 95 -- It's against the law to stop except in an emergency and you can’t keep what you find.

And troopers are watching the area near Mims in Brevard County, where a truck from the U.S. Mint crashed on Wednesday, spilling more than $180,000 worth of new nickels. Traffic cameras have spotted four people stopping and digging through the dirt for nickels, FHP said on Friday.

Although crews spent hours cleaning up millions of coins after the crash, some still remain scattered and buried in dirt on the interstate, which is about 45 miles east of Orlando.

FHP said one person had $300 worth of nickels, which amounts to 50 pounds. Troopers said they took them from him.

The crash involved two tractor-trailers. One truck carrying 3.7 million nickels, owned by IBI Secured Transport, rear-ended another truck, which ran off the road and hit a guardrail. The truck carrying the money overturned, which killed the right front seat passenger. Late Wednesday, that man was identified as William Sherman, 61, of Elkton, Maryland.

inletsurf said:
http://www.wesh.com/cnn-news/17512089/detail.html

ORLANDO, FL -- Florida State troopers have a message for people digging for nickels along Interstate 95 -- It's against the law to stop except in an emergency and you can’t keep what you find.

And troopers are watching the area near Mims in Brevard County, where a truck from the U.S. Mint crashed on Wednesday, spilling more than $180,000 worth of new nickels. Traffic cameras have spotted four people stopping and digging through the dirt for nickels, FHP said on Friday.

Although crews spent hours cleaning up millions of coins after the crash, some still remain scattered and buried in dirt on the interstate, which is about 45 miles east of Orlando.

FHP said one person had $300 worth of nickels, which amounts to 50 pounds. Troopers said they took them from him.

The crash involved two tractor-trailers. One truck carrying 3.7 million nickels, owned by IBI Secured Transport, rear-ended another truck, which ran off the road and hit a guardrail. The truck carrying the money overturned, which killed the right front seat passenger. Late Wednesday, that man was identified as William Sherman, 61, of Elkton, Maryland.

af1733 said:
Be careful Fisheye. They've talked about anyone caught hunting the area for nickels and taking any, even one coin, may be brought up on Federal charges.

I went by the site on my way back from my boat last night at 3am.Lots of feds and state cops were sitting around the site.I guess they directed the cameras to watch the site.In a few months it would most likely be safe to go and dig.Looks like they are looking for stopped cars.Will have to go in by foot.I guess the florida state cops dont know about the finders keepers rule for abandoned treasure found on land.

FISHEYE said:
I went by the site on my way back from my boat last night at 3am.Lots of feds and state cops were sitting around the site.I guess they directed the cameras to watch the site.In a few months it would most likely be safe to go and dig.Looks like they are looking for stopped cars.Will have to go in by foot.I guess the florida state cops dont know about the finders keepers rule for abandoned treasure found on land.

Doesn't sound much like they've abandoned this treasure......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back