✅ SOLVED 4 items I hope have some civil war history

CHAPP12

Mar 10, 2014
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hunting a old road bed that was supposed to be used by the confederates. Don't know this for sure all I have found is a European Enfield bullet. Hope you can help a little on these items. I hoping the iron ring is one off a horse saddle but it's pretty large. The other 2 items I have not clue and I have looked through a dozen books I have here at the house on the civil war. Hoping the 4th is an old buckle. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSCN3128.JPG
    DSCN3128.JPG
    426.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN3130.JPG
    DSCN3130.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN3131.JPG
    DSCN3131.JPG
    588.4 KB · Views: 109
I have been hunting a old road bed that was supposed to be used by the confederates. Don't know this for sure all I have found is a European Enfield bullet. Hope you can help a little on these items. I hoping the iron ring is one off a horse saddle but it's pretty large. The other 2 items I have not clue and I have looked through a dozen books I have here at the house on the civil war. Hoping the 4th is an old buckle. Any help would be appreciated.
it all looks like horse tack to me. The ring may be part of a horse bit. I find those types of relics a lot in the fields and old home sites I hunt. Hard to tell if it's civil war related. Keep pounding that site and you may start recovering buttons and then you would know for sure. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I take it back, I posted that the last photo was a lynchpin without scrolling all the way across the extra large photo. It's not a lynchpin, it's a broken
snaffle bit, you can see the connection in the center of the mouth piece where it broke.
looseringsnaffle.jpg

Attachments

• 1 beidle 1.jpg
    1 beidle 1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Thanks Kodiak. I have met so many people that say come hunt my home, I found a civil war bullet in my front yard. What they don't realize is that there was so many men on the ground and many smaller battles fought that there is relics everywhere. I am just hoping I can find an old camp that will produce some good finds. The obvious places around here have been hunted a ton and I know this piece of property has been in the family for over 150 years and has never been hunted. Oh well, such is metal detecting, 100 pieces of junk for one decent relic. Hell, I guess that's what it's about. If it was easy we would have nothing to hunt for. :)

Upvote 0
Bosnmate,

Great photo and thanks. Doesn't prove its civil war but hopefully i'm in the right place. I also found some old harmonic reeds so we will see. Going back this week and will hopefully have some pics of a csa square buckle. lol!!

Upvote 0
I love finding old horse tack and that also means there was a lot of human activity in that area. I found 4 civil war era eagle buttons in same field I found the horse tack like yours. Keep at it and I hope you start finding military related stuff. The chance at finding a rare or once on a lifetime relic or coin is why I love this hobby and heck it's even healthy for you also. Can't beat that.

Upvote 0
kodiak

I agree with you all the way and you should be a motivational speaker. I'm ready to go out and hunt right now. lol. I think what makes a great relic hunter is the perseverance to keep at it. I'm going back tomorrow evening and I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
kodiak I agree with you all the way and you should be a motivational speaker. I'm ready to go out and hunt right now. lol. I think what makes a great relic hunter is the perseverance to keep at it. I'm going back tomorrow evening and I will keep you posted. Thanks again.
no problem I hope you find some good stuff there. I just have a passion for history and most people who do what we do have that passion. Thanks for the compliment and please keep us posted on your finds I for one look at tnet a few times a day to see what people are recovering. Good luck and have fun.

Upvote 0
Thanks and I will keep you posted on the finds.

Upvote 0
Unless someone was breaking a colt, the snaffle bit was probably used on a horse in harness. Like you say, they could have been making hay or plowing,
perhaps driving a buggy or wagon, on the farm, but there were lots and lots of artillery and wagon horses and mules in the army, so you can't be sure, but if it's
found with other artifacts, seems to me the odds are in favor of Civil War, if nothing else, just the sheer quantity of that style bit used by the government
at that time. Which doesn't mean that snaffle bits were the only bits used one driven horses, there are lots of different ones, but another common bit
was/is a straight bar with a ring on each side.
bar bit.jpg

Upvote 0
note confederate troops would have used a lot of civilian type horse tack items (much more commonly than union troops would have due to lack of "standardized" supplies) --he said there was a large amount of "confederate troops"

Upvote 0
note confederate troops would have used a lot of civilian type horse tack items (much more commonly than union troops would have due to lack of "standardized" supplies) --he said there was a large amount of "confederate troops"

Right, but the same thing I said still holds true, for either side there were probably equal numbers of driven animals, and I'm thinking it would be impossible at
this late date, to tell civilian snaffle bits from military ones, unless the remains of the headstall were found in conjunction with the bit, and only then if there was
something like a US rosette. Lets face it, once the war was over, all that military horse gear was either condemned and destroyed, or was sold into civilian use,
and used for additional years. Also, back in the day, surface finds of useable stuff was picked up and used.

Upvote 0
yep back the it was "waste not, want not"---- things were used until they could no longer be used.

Upvote 0
Just noticed there was more posts on this subject. Sorry for not giving feedback but I've been busy. Son got sick on Monday and I hunted a different spot on Thursday evening with my dad. I will be posting those pics tonight but was able to find a ww1 dogtag (kick'''). I'm going to try this weekend to get back to the site where this horse tack was found. Thanks again for the pics and info. I will let you guys know if anymore civil war related relics come out of this site.

Upvote 0
Just noticed there was more posts on this subject. Sorry for not giving feedback but I've been busy. Son got sick on Monday and I hunted a different spot on Thursday evening with my dad. I will be posting those pics tonight but was able to find a ww1 dogtag (kick'''). I'm going to try this weekend to get back to the site where this horse tack was found. Thanks again for the pics and info. I will let you guys know if anymore civil war related relics come out of this site.
awesome job on the ww1 dog tag. It's been to crappy here to get out but the forecast is looking up after Saturdays snow forecast.

Upvote 0
Thanks Kodiak. Gosh your weather this year in Ohio has been really nasty hasn't it. Hope it clears up for and you can get out and find something. Have a good weekend.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back