35.2 gram chain 14K

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
A quick lunch hunt produces a 23" 35.2 g chain.
It is marked 14K Italy however it failed the acid test. (turned green) it also had a .925 silver cross attached in a weird manner.
I've read that badly tarnished gold chains often fail the acid test, until cleaned up. Also that there are a ton of fake 14K Italy chains out there.
Either way awesome weather and awesome find!

Found under an old tree

Thanks for lookin!!!
HH

Attachments

• image-2424652070.jpg
    image-2424652070.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 400
  • image-2348758971.jpg
    image-2348758971.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 403
  • image-245990834.jpg
    image-245990834.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 378
  • image-3290150931.jpg
    image-3290150931.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 403
  • image-578173826.jpg
    image-578173826.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 8
Awesome find, hope its real!

That's a good find there.they ort not been hangin outside down in that tree in the first place.Fell right off.

Could be a gold plated silver chain. Either way great find!

Great find - hope it does turn out to be real

I've dug so many fake marked gold chains lately that I Assume the worst from the get-go. I hope it does turn out to be real though.

Maybe you can test it with your MD , If its gold plated silver or brass copper a metal tour MD will sound off on ,you will know then turn up the discrimination & see if it stills sounds off ,dont know the Minelabs but your MXT should give you a low # number maybe 20 -40 ish you are probably in good shape [especally if the chain is heavy in your hand ,1st of course remove the cross to check it .thats generally whay I do w/no test kit .GOOD LUCK ...Davers

Nice find... Hope it turns out to be the real deal..

Very nice! I have never found a large chain like that or a gold crucifix. Good job!

Thanks guys! It was sure fun to dig this one. I dont have my hopes up yet on being gold. I filed a few links and they are gold/copper color. I just ordered me a acid test kit, so I'll update in a few days.

I just tried it out on my AT Pro, it's a solid 60-61

Best of luck guys! HH
James

congrats on the chain hopefully it vturn out to be real.looks like the new coil is working out for you.

i'm sorry I miss quoted your type of detector. I was in a hurry yesterday, noted the other poster said his AT gave close to the same Id # for real gold as yours did so good luck. Davers

Man I hope that thing is real!!!!...How old is your acid?..I know that stuff expires after time and will give false readings...Worse case Scenrio is it could be gold plated over Silver.

Man I hope that thing is real!!!!...How old is your acid?..I know that stuff expires after time and will give false readings...Worse case Scenrio is it could be gold plated over Silver.

I had it tested at a local pawnshop where I sell my gold. Their bottle looked pretty crusty.
I would have taken her work it wasn't real, but she tested the clasp, and she did the magnet test on the silver cross & clasp that was holding it on the chain. Clearly marked .925 on both cross and silver clasp which is huge! has a steel spring in it so it slightly stuck to the magnet lol. I have my acid kit in the mail right now

Cool find gold or silver! money in the bank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back