Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent the last three mornings hunting the fields of a horse farm. I kept wondering why so much clad was being pulled from around the barn and after talking to the owner found out that they held dances there for over two decades. BTW there were more pull tabs and beaver tails than clad.

Today I started to walk the big fields in hopes of something more interesting and was not disappointed. Amongst the usual stuff I dug a "$3000 BRAZEN COIN" issued by the Modern Woodmen of America. No its not worth $3000. The company, still in business today, is an insurance company founded in 1883. Created as an organization that would protect families following the death of a breadwinner.

"Modern Woodmen had a unique set of membership restrictions and criteria. Religiously, the group was quite open, accepting "Jew and Gentile, the Catholic and Protestant, the agnostic and the atheist." However, until the mid-1900s, membership was restricted to white males between the ages of 18 and 45 from the 12 "healthiest" states โ€“ Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas. Residents of large cities were also disqualified from membership, as were those employed in certain professions, such as railway workers, underground miners, gunpowder factory employees, liquor wholesalers and manufacturers, saloon keepers, "aeronauts", sailors on the lakes and seas, and professional baseball players."[1]

The obverse pictures a radiant winged figure above a shield portraying upside down hammer and axe, handles crossed, wedge above trident left, orbed scepter right, wreath below over motto on banner legend above and below between 2 rings, 5-point stars left and right.

The reverse pictures an upside down hammer and axe, handles crossed, wedge above
legend above, value below between 2 rings.

The $3000 Brazen Coin from the MWA is a reference to a $3000 life insurance policy issued by that organization.

Thanks for looking.

1. Alan Axelrod International Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Fraternal Orders New York; Facts on File, inc 1997 p. 264

20230705_171734.jpg
20230705_171704.jpg
20230705_085209.jpg
20230705_171613.jpg
20230705_112435 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 37
I spent the last three mornings hunting the fields of a horse farm. I kept wondering why so much clad was being pulled from around the barn and after talking to the owner found out that they held dances there for over two decades. BTW there were more pull tabs and beaver tails than clad.

Today I started to walk the big fields in hopes of something more interesting and was not disappointed. Amongst the usual stuff I dug a "$3000 BRAZEN COIN" issued by the Modern Woodmen of America. No its not worth $3000. The company, still in business today, is an insurance company founded in 1883. Created as an organization that would protect families following the death of a breadwinner.

"Modern Woodmen had a unique set of membership restrictions and criteria. Religiously, the group was quite open, accepting "Jew and Gentile, the Catholic and Protestant, the agnostic and the atheist." However, until the mid-1900s, membership was restricted to white males between the ages of 18 and 45 from the 12 "healthiest" states โ€“ Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas. Residents of large cities were also disqualified from membership, as were those employed in certain professions, such as railway workers, underground miners, gunpowder factory employees, liquor wholesalers and manufacturers, saloon keepers, "aeronauts", sailors on the lakes and seas, and professional baseball players."[1]

The obverse pictures a radiant winged figure above a shield portraying upside down hammer and axe, handles crossed, wedge above trident left, orbed scepter right, wreath below over motto on banner legend above and below between 2 rings, 5-point stars left and right.

The reverse pictures an upside down hammer and axe, handles crossed, wedge above

The $3000 Brazen Coin from the MWA is a reference to a $3000 life insurance policy issued by that organization.

Thanks for looking.

1. Alan Axelrod International Encyclopedia of Secret Societies and Fraternal Orders New York; Facts on File, inc 1997 p. 264

View attachment 2092238View attachment 2092239View attachment 2092240View attachment 2092241View attachment 2092244
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 2092238View attachment 2092239View attachment 2092240View attachment 2092241View attachment 2092244
Outstanding findโ€ฆ!
I once found a Women of Woodcraft deligate badge

Nice finds be careful you do not wear out your shovel :)
Thanks for sharing with us
I often wonder if I'm the only person out there who actually sharpens thier shovel ๐Ÿ˜‚

That's a neat find, life insurance token. I guess my state was once one of the healthiest! Now it's just one of the most obese and one of the highest for alcohol consumption. Lol.

I could just imagine the amount of trash/tabs surrounding a barn dance location! Good hunting though!

A cool find - congrats !
I found a intact MWA belt buckle on a hunt in Maine 6 or 7 years ago.
I appreciate it!
I saw one of those buckles when I was doing the research๐Ÿ‘

I could just imagine the amount of trash/tabs surrounding a barn dance location! Good hunting though!
Good finds in the big fields are few and far between. When I get bored I head to the barn and dig some coins and I'm good for a couple more hours. ๐Ÿคฃ

I had never heard of MWA until I found a small pin and researched it. I live in one of the "healthy" states and couldn't believe they are still in business and I never once heard of them. Crazy. No advertising budget I guess. Love the coin and I'm a bit jealous!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back