🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 3 Unidentified Items From Trapper Camp

USNFLYR

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a new spot near the confluence of a creek and the Columbia River. It has yielded axes, buttons, grommets, utensils, iron spikes and broken shards. I have found Native trade metal in the past near here as well. Some of my previous finds include items that were snipped from pewter pots and/or small copper rectangles. I’ll post a second thread that shows a larger item…a banged up heavy metal item plus a dome button found in the same beach…. these items have me thinking the site is mid 19th century.

Items

1) Thin metal disc that has been clipped into an oval shape. The edges are clearly cut by shears. Also, the person attempted to cut the piece in half. If this wasn’t near an area that had fur trading, I would’ve thrown it in my misc heap….

2) Ornate lead grommet/seal. This item has patina of lead unlike modern sinkers/industrial lead. It’s whiter and appears to be older than the 1880 era Ammo that I find from hunters. The outer rim appears to have had two lips to hold (attach) metal or fabric. The inner circle looks to had threading or lips to attach to something.

3) Iron bar. Again, I normally would write this off as spare iron to be used by a blacksmith. The idea that an iron bar was found near a bank bolsters my theory that a trapper camp/fur trader post was near by. But….. I have seen Native American adzes using iron bars, that they obtained through trading. Pre contact Native people used stone adze heads. This one has a definite angled cut, that could be a blade edge. Or. It could’ve merely been how it was cut…. I would hate throwing out a possible trade item
IMG_2048.jpeg
IMG_2049.jpeg
IMG_2050.jpeg
IMG_2051.jpeg
IMG_2052.jpeg
….

The thin round piece of metal could be a pan cover for a small trap.

Upvote 0
I am a trapper and I have never seen or used a trap pan cover as thick as that piece of metal. It's just not flexible enough. I agree that it could have been left over after making something else but it could also have had a wooden handle where the slit is and used on lite weight furs as a scrapper.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back