3 silvers from the new school permission, a couple of bullets, whatzits and scout camp finds

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the lake where I had been detecting the dry swimming area. We have been away and the all the snow has melted and we heard they had a lot of rain while we were gone. Well when I got there the lake was full and the swimming areas were all submerged so I went for plan B and went back to the oldest park in the area that has been detecting for over 40 years by everyone and his brother. I only had 4 hours to detect and I did ok, but didn’t find anything special.

In my 4 hours the CZ21 sniffed out 37 coins with a face value of $1.80, a nice green brass whatzit, a different looking small hammer, the end of a mechanical pencil, part of a ball inflation needle, 2 bullets, a shell casing, a cabinet bolt receiver plate, part of a toy car, tabs, can slaw and a nice batch of old copper wire (there was an old broadcast tower in that part of the park and when it was taken down they left lots of wire in the ground).

DSCN2990.jpeg

The hammer was not very deep. It gave a bell tone signal because it was close to the surface so I had to dig it. Not quite sure what type it is but the head and handle are one solid piece of metal. It make have broken off or had a wooden handle, I’m not sure which is correct. It is also small so it would have been for some special purpose or for tacks.

DSCN2992.jpeg

The first bullet is all lead. It is pretty beat up, but it looks like it had a cone cavity in the base. It is possible it is from the civil war, but it is too banged up to identify. The second one is a modern copper jacket slug. The casing is a military blank with a head stamp of LC69. So I’d was made in the Lake City Arsenal in 1969.

DSCN2991.jpeg

The brass whatzit is interesting. How it has been missed all of these years is a mystery as it was a nice strong signal. Maybe people thought it was a can. The hole on one end is off center a good bit. The back is concave and the shaft has a small curve to it. The curve is intentional and it looks molded with the holes drilled after it was made. It looks like a connecting piece or brace of some kind.

DSCN2993.jpeg

DAY 2
I finally got back to the scout camp after 4 and a half months away. When I got permission to return in December the weather turned sour and it has just gotten good enough to return yaaaaah.

I got in 5.5 hours of detecting with the CZ21 checking around the tent floor boards that stay on the ground year round. These are located in the Cub Scout camp so most of the finds are related to that program. I found 14 camp tent pegs (and a bunch of personal tent sized pegs), 110 coins with a face value of $6.12, 4 neckerchief slides, a Fallingwater hat pin, a modern button, a NO CASH VALUE token with an eagle on the other side, a blank shell casing, a clevis pin, 4 sinkers, 2 rope tensioners, some tabs, can slaw, whole aluminum cans and melted aluminum from the campfires.

DSCN2994.jpeg

DSCN2995.jpeg

The neckerchief slides from top to bottom are: 2 Webelos slides (one brand new in perfect shape), a current wolf slide in almost new shape and an older style general Cub Scout slide from before they had a different slide for each rank. The shall casing is a pistol round with an LC 82 head stamp so it is from the Lake City Arsenal and was made in 1982.

Not my best day at camp, but things are thinning out. I have been detecting here for almost 11 years and have recovered an amazing number of coin, pegs and interesting scout stuff. I clean up the Boy Scout slides and spray paint them so the new scouts in our troop each get a free one when they join and a cheap replacement if it gets lost ($1 for a replacement when they cost $7.99 at the store).

DAY 3
I just got approved for another school permission. I was assistant principal at this one for 4 years in the late 1990s. It’s on the better side of the city. This city had several thousand union troops here during the civil war and you can find stuff from the war almost anywhere in the city so I was hoping to get lucky.

I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and just walking around the property getting the lay of the land and looking for hot spots. I didn’t make it all the way around the school, but I’ll go back and check the rest later. There is not as much trash and iron signals as I usually find at schools. This school even has a lot of dead spots with nothing in them.

I did manage to find 139 coins with a face value of $11.44, a Gerber knife, a silver dime, 2 rings, some cheapie jewelry, an interesting brass bolt with a split ring on the top to fasten something to it, a bent brass money clip, a miniature toy gun, most of an old toy gun, some aluminum fence wire, tabs, aluminum bottle caps, whole cans and can slaw. Not a huge amount of junk compared to other sites, but it’s always there.

DSCN2996.jpeg

The dime is a 1903 Barber dime in decent shape. One of the rings is a real pretty silver one made from connected flowers. The other ring is a cheapie with ghosts on it.

DSCN2998.jpeg

DSCN2997.jpeg

The full sized toy gun part is made of heavy metal, not the cheapie metal the deteriorates in the acid soil like the miniature one. Most of the toy guns I find are cheapie metal. From what I can find on line this one is a 1950s Hubley Western that had a steer on the grip that is missing. The hammer is missing and the cylinder part of the gun has been mashed. It was fairly deep and looks like it was probably run over by heavy equipment building the school. They opened the school in 1965.

DSCN2999.jpeg

DAY 4
I went back to the school to check the rest of the grounds to see where the hot spots were. They were not in the back of the school. The first few hours were definitely poor. So I did some more checking around the the front and did ok for the day.

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 156 coins with a face value of $11.53, a silver dime, 4 wheaties, a Kennedy half, pieces of cheapie jewelry, a brass gas connector, a round ball (might be civil war but no way to tell for sure), aluminum cans, aluminum bottle caps, aluminum fence tie wires, can slaw, tabs and the ever present in the school yard, pencil ends.

DSCN3003.jpeg

The Kennedy half is a 1970 clad, no silver in that one. The silver Rosie is a 1964 that has been hit by something and bent. It has a couple of dents on the side as well. It had a hard life.

DSCN3001.jpeg

The wheaties are a 1941, 1951, 1957 and 1957D.

DSCN3002.jpeg

NON DETECTOR FINDS
We spend 5 days in Santa Fe and we walked all over the place. I didn’t find a single coin on the streets or sidewalks and we asked around a lot. I did find a promising looking necklace on the sidewalk, but it is brass. The necklace is nice and in good shape, too bad it’s not gold. I found 2 pennies in the airport coming home and a few coins around town at home.

DSCN3004.jpeg

It’s nice to finally be out detecting again after all the lousy weather we have been having. Hopefully it will hold for a while. Gas money was much better than it has been lately, silver always makes me happy and enough intersecting stuff to keep it fun. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things

Upvote 18
Thanks for another great thread and grats on the silvers.

Your Kennedy is probably a 1979. If it's truly a 1970, it would be 40% silver.

Your Kennedy is probably a 1979. If it's truly a 1970, it would be 40% silver.
Good catch. It is very cruddy and I didn’t bother to clean it up to check the date since it is obviously clad.

Thanks for the reply, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

'65-70 Kennedy's are clad too, just silver/copper clad instead of the later copper/nickel clad.

'65-70 Kennedy's are clad too, just silver/copper clad instead of the later copper/nickel clad.
Out of curiosity I cleaned up the half and it is a 1973. No silver at all in that one.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

WOW!!!! Save some for the rest of us. :laughing7: What a haul.
Congrats on the silver and the blingage. :icon_thumright:
Thanks for the ID on the rope tensioners. I dug a few of those recently and had no idea what they were. :dontknow:
MM

Attachments

• DSCN2994.jpeg
    DSCN2994.jpeg
    205.5 KB · Views: 11
WOW!!!! Save some for the rest of us. :laughing7: What a haul.
Congrats on the silver and the blingage. :icon_thumright:
Thanks for the ID on the rope tensioners. I dug a few of those recently and had no idea what they were. :dontknow:
MM
Glad to help. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back