3 Ring Bullet

g_esslin

Apr 7, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found earlier today up in a field in New Hampshire. Anyone know much about bullets and the time period this is from? D5022656-719E-47A5-8DBC-EB4CA1226DE2.jpegEF59EF98-9E8D-4817-85F2-B93F62A78401.jpeg242E4E2D-649D-42C6-A58D-368597F1ADAB.jpeg2F461165-8D06-42C7-BDA9-67112A350C20.jpeg

tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard g_esslin! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved ya from TODAY'S FINDS! over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

teacher.gif
3rd - Until a member pipes in - I pulled this from another TN thread...

Upvote 0
.45 70 500 Post 1870. Probably Mil Issue for trapdoor Springfield.

Welcome to TNet G

Upvote 0
It is a copper-jacketed lead core bullet, which means it doesn't date any earlier than approximately 1895. The fact that it is a "hollow-point" copper-jacketed bullet strongly indicates it is from no earlier than the World War One era.

It is quite long-bodied, and has three flat-bottomed body grooves, and it does appear to be approximately .45-caliber, so it probably is for the US .45-70 "Government" rifle. Although long obsolete, some .45-70 rifles did get used for training "raw" (newly-recruited/drafted) US National Guard troops in the World War One era.

Upvote 0
I agree with CBG I know nothing about bullets but Ill agree because he is very knowledgable and it makes me look good lol Nice find looks like you have an old spot to hunt...

Upvote 0
Right on CBG! I was conflicted about the jacket and the apparent hollow point. I knew it was .45 70 500 because nothing else profiles like that. I've never seen a jacketed bullet with canalures before. I own a Remington Rolling block in .45 70 but the bullets have been downloaded for nitro powder and the bullet weight is significantly lighter. Also have never seen hollow point amo for it.

I'm going out on a limb here in thinking this is probably an Eley Kinoch bullet made for big game hunting. Either that or something exotic from Herter's.

That would make it a pretty rare find!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Modern 385grain45-70 hollowpoint, got a friend that hand cast lead bullets for all his old black powder guns. This picture pulled of the net.45-70-385-HP-459-03.jpg

Upvote 0
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia :skullflag: CBG has ruled, so let it be written so let it be done:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Yeah, but they're not jacketed. These are for guys that reload black powder cartridges. If they were intended for nitro powders they at least have a gas check.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Adding to the mystery, this seems to be an unfired dropped bullet.

Upvote 0
My friend cast these for my antique 30-30
The one with brass is for reference for expansion on the lead casting. Some lead from civil was era bullets was added to these bullets. They were picked up on the land I hunt.tapatalk_1554900666278.jpgtapatalk_1554900685894.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back