πŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED 3 Hammerheads found metal detecting.. any information regarding them is appreciated

itsConnorStade

Aug 14, 2024
Found in different locations in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Looking for potential age/dates on them? What types of hammers they could be? Compositions?

β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”β€”

Object 1:

Description: Overall shape is straight, Relatively small, One end rounded, One end flat, Hole in the centre, Wood chip from handle found inside.

Length: 4” Inches

Width: 3/4”

Height: 3/4”

Weight: 6.17 Ounces

Note: The discolouration of object 1 in it’s β€œBefore” image is only due to the fact it was left in a plastic bag in my garage and began submitting to elements, otherwise it would look more dirty like the other objects.

Object 2:

Description: Overall shape is arched, Very Small, One end rounded, One end flat, (Chisel?)

Length: 2” Inches

Width: 1/2”

Height: 1/2”

Weight: 1.55 Ounces

Object 3:

Description: Overall shape is arched, One end is flat (possibly broken), One end is a 2 pronged claw or β€œClaw Hammer”.

Length: 3 1/8” Inches

Width: 1 1/4”

Height: 1 1/4”

Weight: 5.33 Ounces

Note: It has a protruding metal β€œV” at the base of the head end of the object. It is included in the height measurement and is 1/4” of an inch by itself. Likely where it somehow broke.

Attachments

• BEFORE - 1.png
    BEFORE - 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • BEFORE - 2.png
    BEFORE - 2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • BEFORE - 3.png
    BEFORE - 3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Looking for potential age/dates on them? What types of hammers they could be? Compostitions? all Iron or?
That first one could be a planishing hammer head, possibly a blacksmith hammer. That second one I'm not too sure, the last is from a claw hammer or hand hammer. Are they iron? Dunno, does a magnet stick to them? If it does they're definitely ferrous. Probably high carbon steel if I had to guess

Upvote 2
That first one could be a planishing hammer head, possibly a blacksmith hammer. That second one I'm not too sure, the last is from a claw hammer or hand hammer. Are they iron? Dunno, does a magnet stick to them? If it does they're definitely ferrous. Probably high carbon steel if I had to guess

Okay thanks, like I said any info helps, and yeah a magnet is attracted to all of them

Upvote 1

Looking for potential age/dates on them? What types of hammers they could be? Compostitions? all Iron or?
Suggestion that will help in IDs on items.
The first hammer head for example.
No reference for size.
Place a ruler down with the recovery then the readership can determine the size.

Looking at the photo it's not real possible.
Was the hammer used in a cobbler's shop, or in blacksmithing.

Done well in cleaning up the finds, and all the side shots.

Upvote 1
Suggestion that will help in IDs on items.
The first hammer head for example.
No reference for size.
Place a ruler down with the recovery then the readership can determine the size.

Looking at the photo it's not real possible.
Was the hammer used in a cobbler's shop, or in blacksmithing.

Done well in cleaning up the finds, and all the side shots.

Great thanks I added some more details to the post

Upvote 1
could be Cobblers hammers.
Onterio. Could be grab a hammer (any hammer) and bust some ice in winter.
like an axe , iron or steel tools want some warming in low subzero temps to not break on impact.

1725217268532.png

Upvote 2
Upvote 1
The weight does but this one looks like it has 2 flat but round sides, very similar though, definitely possible! It resembles the other photo @releventchair posted more but who knows I guess aha … might throw a hickory handle on it now though!πŸ˜‚
Cobbler hammer was the first thought.

Upvote 1
And I also believe everyone’s right and that it’s what’s called a β€œRiveting” Hammer.. could have been used for anything from Blacksmithing, Jewellery, Boot/leather work, Woodwork, Upholstery

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back