Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally! Some goodies tonight... sidewalk contruction, actually they are digging out the ground on a slope to build a new sidewalk below where the old sidewalk used to be.

But it got dark way too quick, so I'll try again tomorrow night and see what's left to metal detect... they'll have the stone layed out tomorrow probably but I wasn't able to scan the big pile of dirt next to it yet.

First a got this old cheap ring, no stone. Then a G-4 1874 IH, nice year to have! Then soon after popped out a near fine condition 1906 Liberty Nickel, (I don't get many of these) then another near fine condition 1908 Liberty Nickel. I was pumped!!! They are a bit pitted causing the word LIBERTY to not be all there. >:(
I think the IH's will clean up good with olive oil soak for a day.

Then comes a beauty 4-Diamond AU 1898 Indian Head! I'm loving it at this point! It's tough to see them but I used my 8X eye cup to view better with, lots of detail on this one. Then... my 1st Shield Nickel! Near Extra Fine condition 1867. These scans below really don't show details too well but these are all some goodies!

From there I moved closer to the grass edge and dug two Barber Dimes sitting with each other in the same hole. The 1902 in G-4 condition and the 1909-O in just about VG-8, 3 letters in liberty showing.

Oh, and somewhere's in there popped up a flat button. The surface is quite smooth, can't make out anything on it but the backing is good, it reads:
TREBLE GILT STAND COLOUR.
What ever the heck does that mean? I'm a true button dummy anyways! ::)

I also plucked a '44 Wheatie and a few memorial cents.

What'ta Night! 8)

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Attachments

• Sidewalk 10.10.06 enhanced.jpg
    Sidewalk 10.10.06 enhanced.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 657
  • Sidewalk 10.10.06 rinsed2.jpg
    Sidewalk 10.10.06 rinsed2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 657
  • 1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06.jpg
    1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 662
  • 1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06 rev..jpg
    1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06 rev..jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 634
  • 1902 and 1909-O Barber Dimes.jpg
    1902 and 1909-O Barber Dimes.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 633
  • flat button.jpg
    flat button.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 623
Upvote 0
Re: What a night! My 1st Shield Nickel

Congratulations. Looks like you had a great hunt! ;D ;D I would be excited too. Nice variety of finds.

Mirage

I definitely know the feeling..........That Shield Nickle along with the half dollar was two coins that eluded my detecting attempts for some time then out of know where ........there they were! ;D found one and then the other........Congrats on a great day! Plus plenty of luck in the future!!! HH

Nice finds! I love finding old nickels, especially V's and Shields. It tells me that I'm not missin' much when it comes to working a site thoroughly. Be sure to tell us what else you find when you go back to the site!

Buckleboy

Well I was in such a rush I forgot my camera!

Not much tonight, but they did dig more dirt up to extend the sidewalk further but they already had stone down covering it. A couple more small dirt piles provided me with two more wheaties, 1930 & 1947. Also ended up with this lead Elk pin.

Today quickly got very windy with passing rain showers, tonight after work was no differant! I stuck it out for a bit, had just a little more to do when this older lady came out and asked me if I was with "The work crew" for the sidewalks :D
I kindly said "no ma'am, just a hobby, I'm looking for a few old coins". She was all concerned that they are going to cement over the gas line that is about to be dug up!

Then she said that's her hobby too! (Coins). And she's looking into buying a metal detector. She went on saying that she found a silver dollar in her garden one day, she was very excited about it. I didn't ask what kind of silver dollar but I'm sure it was a old one. She said there's more than just coins to find ya know! And that her home is dated 1812!

Then she nicely ask me to respect the property line and to stay from the fresh stone to the road and wished me luck. (Sure she didn't want me grabbing up any left-overs that's on the edge of her property). I deliberately didn't tell her that ALL of yesterdays shield nickel, liberty nickels, barber dimes and indian heads all were dug near her edge! :D

So of course I asked if I could detect her place! She just shook her head a bit and said she was going to buy a detector. It'll be a few days before I get back there and I'll try to get a pic of the area.

Chris

Attachments

• 061011064504-2.jpg
    061011064504-2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 243
... I have to try a super close-up of the IH, hope it's not distorted. new camera and software...

Wow, that worked out pretty good!

Attachments

• super close up IH.jpg
    super close up IH.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 236
Is this a die break? 1909-O ...

Attachments

• 1909-O die crack.JPG
    1909-O die crack.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 218
Mighty AP said:
What an awesome haul Chris!!! You're gonna remember this one fer a long, long time! Congrats to you, you had this one comin' to ya! ;D

Thanks! The Might DIgging Tool has been quite handy! Works beautifully!

Excellent digs Chris! What a night for sure.It sure was nice of them to remove the topsoil for you. :) Being so near to the original walkway made it a prime hunting area.Nice job!
Congrats on your first Shield nickel!I hope you can get back regularly before completion of the sidewalk and make some more great finds. Best of luck to you and HH!

Excellent coin shootin Chris...Id complain to the city though....Tell them the rest of the sidewalks in that area need replacing!......congrats....Joe

That's an excellent hunt, Chris. Torn-up sidewalks are great hunting areas! :)

Watch out....you could be playing duelling detectors with your new friend. I heard that females make great detectorists!! :P ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back