Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally! Some goodies tonight... sidewalk contruction, actually they are digging out the ground on a slope to build a new sidewalk below where the old sidewalk used to be.

But it got dark way too quick, so I'll try again tomorrow night and see what's left to metal detect... they'll have the stone layed out tomorrow probably but I wasn't able to scan the big pile of dirt next to it yet.

First a got this old cheap ring, no stone. Then a G-4 1874 IH, nice year to have! Then soon after popped out a near fine condition 1906 Liberty Nickel, (I don't get many of these) then another near fine condition 1908 Liberty Nickel. I was pumped!!! They are a bit pitted causing the word LIBERTY to not be all there. >:(
I think the IH's will clean up good with olive oil soak for a day.

Then comes a beauty 4-Diamond AU 1898 Indian Head! I'm loving it at this point! It's tough to see them but I used my 8X eye cup to view better with, lots of detail on this one. Then... my 1st Shield Nickel! Near Extra Fine condition 1867. These scans below really don't show details too well but these are all some goodies!

From there I moved closer to the grass edge and dug two Barber Dimes sitting with each other in the same hole. The 1902 in G-4 condition and the 1909-O in just about VG-8, 3 letters in liberty showing.

Oh, and somewhere's in there popped up a flat button. The surface is quite smooth, can't make out anything on it but the backing is good, it reads:
TREBLE GILT STAND COLOUR.
What ever the heck does that mean? I'm a true button dummy anyways! ::)

I also plucked a '44 Wheatie and a few memorial cents.

What'ta Night! 8)

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Attachments

• Sidewalk 10.10.06 enhanced.jpg
    Sidewalk 10.10.06 enhanced.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 657
  • Sidewalk 10.10.06 rinsed2.jpg
    Sidewalk 10.10.06 rinsed2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 657
  • 1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06.jpg
    1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 662
  • 1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06 rev..jpg
    1st Shield Nickel 10.10.06 rev..jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 634
  • 1902 and 1909-O Barber Dimes.jpg
    1902 and 1909-O Barber Dimes.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 633
  • flat button.jpg
    flat button.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 623
Upvote 0
Re: What a night! My 1st Shield Nickel

What a haul....Your right what a night......Great Job.....Go back and get more from that sweet spot..

I love those tear outs too.

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 676
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 691

congrats I found 1 ever. Its always cool to find a coin that ya never found b4.

Oh what a nite!! You pulled out some fantasic
sidewalk digs-- Seems thats been a hot location
for many!! ;D
Congrats & HH

Since the nickels are rusted you can't really give them a grade. I wouldn't even expect anyone to pay G-4 for those coins.

But those silver ones have some value! :)

Conrat's on all the find's....Nice haul no doubt....But if I was driving by and saw somebody "eye cuppin" a coin....Better believe I would be night stalkin'.....That aint no zincoln you're lookin at...HH!!

great finds there !!!!!!!!! wow i go by a construction site everyday,, maybe the oldest part of town there is,, but i never get out of the truck... i gotta start,,,, awesome coins.... ;D

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet haul! man that's a nice handful of coins! Looks like they're in good shape to me.

So this is where they were replacing the side walk? as in, took up the old one and you hit it before they put the new one down?
sounds awesome in any case. Congrats!

Congratulations great pile of finds. Would be many firsts for me there. Good job on spotting a great opportunity.

Postalrevnant

Makes me want to tear up the sidewalk in front of my house, great haul!

Awsome coins!

HH
-GC

captain Jack said:
So this is where they were replacing the side walk? as in, took up the old one and you hit it before they put the new one down?
sounds awesome in any case. Congrats!

No, the old sidewalk is on higher ground, this new one is about 3ft lower down the slope of the ground. I'll try to remember the camera tonight to show you all.

But the old sidewalk has been gone for a long time, only a small section near the house is still visable.

I think I'll go down to the rental shop and get me a jackhammer...........

WTG nice coin haul.....making me start looking at the whole construction zone thing now..lol..gregg

Nice finds...even the button!

Congrats on a great haul there.

That shield held up really well. The one's I have found been eaten beyond recognition almost.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back