2nd time no luck

Rh2racing

Feb 24, 2013
I know I shouldnt expect to find anything the first time but I am itching so see ANY color in my pan. I thought I found a great spot today, where a small creek had a layer of rock at the bottom (probably sandstone) that made small natural riffles that had pockets of sediment that was uneffected by the current. I went home with my test samples and panned it out and found nothing yet again. It really looked like I was on to something too. It would have made a nice birthday present to see even one speck of color.

Upvote 0
I know I shouldnt expect to find anything the first time but I am itching so see ANY color in my pan. I thought I found a great spot today, where a small creek had a layer of rock at the bottom (probably sandstone) that made small natural riffles that had pockets of sediment that was uneffected by the current. I went home with my test samples and panned it out and found nothing yet again. It really looked like I was on to something too. It would have made a nice birthday present to see even one speck of color.

Just keep at it.

Your best bet is to search where gold has been found before.

I usually test pan at the creek before spend energy lugging around buckets of material, that way I know there is at least some color in it. Also I usually check multiple spots starting with the most promising looking and working down to the places that seem very unlikely to hold gold. Just yesterday I spent about four hours hiking down a river doing test pans. I have a spot nearby that has been producing steady gold, but I was always wondering if the next area might hold something better. So I took a day off from my normal place to go searching. I spent the night before searching satellite maps and looking for access points. After deciding on the best place I headed out. Turns out the best looking spot had nothing, and a less likely looking area held a good amount of gold. Trick is to try as many places as possible until you get a good feel for where gold gets deposited, then it should become a little easier. Once you find a promising spot, run as much material as you can! The more dirt you move, the better your chances of finding some color. And if you can't pan it or sluice it at the creek at least try to classify it down as much as possible, this will save your arms if you have a long trip! Keep at it, if there is gold in the area, you'll find it eventually! Good luck!

When I sample I run pans every thirty feet or so. some holes deeper,:then others. Up the bank and down by the river. I look for the color to get better. If it gets slimmer I move back to where it was at its best. Then I look up the hill side or search for a deposit in that area.. works awesome for me. Still ain't foumd the deposit. But infind gold everytime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back