250 Acres - Field 1 - nice Sestertius & Hammered...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the moment all our options are ankle breakers, so its not until Spring drilling that they will improve, this field was pretty hard going but we did pretty well for coins that were basically on the top.
Now we have new owners of this farm with its 250 acres we pretty much have a free run of it. Meaning we can get back to gridding the Roman Site we found within 20 minutes of starting the farm a couple of years ago, but only did a day & a bit. At this point we don't know the size & shape of the scatter, so although we waste a bit of time with overlapping the edges, it's going to be fun to find out.

4 hours 45 mins:

27 Roman Coins
Roman 4-way Strap Junction
3 Roman Brooches (broken)
Roman Tweezers - The best working example we have found8-)
Roman Acorn shaped Bead - Not seen one & can't find an example. I wonder if it went on the end of a cord, so it was the right way up?!:icon_scratch:
Roman Hob-Nail
Top of a Saxon Brooch
Hammered of Henry III (Robert of London)-First hammered from this field, pretty odd with no other Medieval signs yet, but keeps our streak going.:laughing7:
UPDATE: added better pictures.
UPDATE with correct ID:
(needed our contact at the British Museum to help out)
(The X being damaged & not visible would have pointed us in the right direction)
It's not a new Emperor after all, the reason we were troubled with the Obverse legend is because it's:

''Maximinus Thrax (AD 235-238):

Obverse: MAXIMINVS PIVS AVG GERM, Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
Reverse: PAX AVGVSTI, Pax left holding branch and transverse sceptre.
Mint of Rome, c.AD 236-238
RIC IV.2, p. 146 no. 81

This type is one of about three different reverse types for Thrax with this obverse legend that we see on the PAS, with about 4 examples of this same type/combination recorded on the database so far. His coinage is not all that common but then he only ruled for a few years so we might expect this โ€“ there are about 135 coins for him and his son Maximus on the PAS so far. You can pick him out from the others based on the bust type, he has a very prominent chin (and according to contemporary Roman sources was a giant, anything up to 8ft 6ins tall apparently!)! If you have a findspot itโ€™s a good one to get recorded, happy to add it to the database for you if so.''

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    247.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 43
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Upvote 32
Congrats. My only option is staying warm inside. No land available to detect as hunters lease every bit of land around here this time of year

Congrats. My only option is staying warm inside. No land available to detect as hunters lease every bit of land around here this time of year
bummer

wow just under 5 hours and you find more ancient coins than I find modern ones. that's awesome

Its alright. Hopefully come February Ill secure some new land or at least get back to some past sites. Ill likely never top the finds from my two best water sites anyway. Curious whats the best site youve ever detected?

Nice results on the coinage.
But the one that is got me thinking wow!
Are those tweezers! Congrats.

Its alright. Hopefully come February Ill secure some new land or at least get back to some past sites. Ill likely never top the finds from my two best water sites anyway. Curious whats the best site youve ever detected?
Thats a really tough question, but if I just base it on quantity of Roman Coins, it would be the Field of 500. We had 1 day where we had something like 98 or 99 Roman Coins, & the total is about 1600 now.
However, the Roman Metal Working Site (although I think it started in the Iron Age) & Fan's Site which is where they lived is historically important. I found lead test pieces for Roman Rings & a late 4th C Roman Buckle test piece. Proving they made that buckle at that place, which is a massive deal, as they hardly ever link objects to sites like that. Its not only produced Celtic Gold Staters, but a Gold Hammered & plenty of Roman Silver, so its probably one of the best.

Well done on an ankle breaker! The tweezers are awesome! And the Ses is still a way better example than most.

UPDATE:

Added better pictures with natural light of the Sestertius, to do it justice. My first pictures were poor & wiped out the detail, which is probably our best bust for this size of coin.
PS. This was Cru'dad's find & it was sitting on the top, came up from a deep 10 inch turn. Plus we are still investigating the Obverse Legend that doesn't fit the known text for this coin.

Last edited:
wow! amazing finds once again! that Maximinus Thrax is in amazing condition and has a beautiful patina on it. Congrats you guys. Big, prominent chin for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back