25 Merc and a false alarm

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
'25 Merc and a false alarm

Now that the kids are in school, I've been doing some work for an older lady across town; these days, a little extra money doesn't hurt! Today, after a two hour stint planting some hydrangeas, I asked if I could hunt the yard with my detector. The nice lady, with a twinkle in her eye that never seems to disappear, gave the okay. Before long, I was pulling wheats; I think I finished with six on the day. My first interesting find was the clad Kennedy half, my second this year after a long string of silver halves at the start of my career ;D. After one of the wheats, I got another signal real close by and thought maybe I had a Buff. Opening the ground, I saw the beautiful glint of gold in the form of this ring. "Oh, goodie," I said, in my best Herman Munster impression. Closer inspection revealed the tiny inscription inside: 10K G F. Not what I wanted to see >:(. The last good find was a 25 Merc, worn but still attractive after all these years. It's a beautiful sunny afternoon here, and I haven't had a reasonable hunt for a while; this was good medicine!

Attachments

• mercring (Small).jpg
    mercring (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 494
Upvote 0
Re: '25 Merc and a false alarm

Found my first Kennedy Half a couple of nights ago!

All I find are GF rings

And I love that Merc! Haven't found silver in a few hunts now.

WTG

Have you given up on the Silver Farm, Henry? I haven't heard any talk from you about that spot in quite some time.

Nice finds!! Those gold filled rings always get the heart beating until you see the copper underneath. :o

It's really nice here in S. CA today also. A little too hot...supposed to be 90-92 here today, with very low humidity.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Captn_SE said:
Have you given up on the Silver Farm, Henry? I haven't heard any talk from you about that spot in quite some time.

Nice finds!! Those gold filled rings always get the heart beating until you see the copper underneath. :o

It's really nice here in S. CA today also. A little too hot...supposed to be 90-92 here today, with very low humidity.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
I've been toying with going back to the silver farm lately, but I did a pretty thorough job on the areas I could reach. I'm trying to hit new spots if I can, for now. The tough thing about having a silver farm is that once you've cleaned it out, it's hard to find anything to match it! I'm happy the 90 degree days are gone, myself! Jethro1982, my weather prognosticator, informed me yesterday that rain was coming my way. It missed, and we're stuck with this lovely sunshine!

We live longer than most people because our hearts go thump like that all the time while digging...Great finds buddy :thumbsup: jgas

Nice Job on the Merc Half,sound's like that place need's a couple more Hydrangeas :wink: Congrat's :thumbsup:

Nice finds. Great Merc. :thumbsup:
Dman

Wheat's, Merc and a GF ring not a bad hunt at all !! GF is better than plated so that's a good thing !! :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D

Sorry, I'll exercise more discernment in the future when predicting rain for you. The radar return looked favorable. Curse the unpredictability of those rain clouds! :-[

jethro1982 said:
Sorry, I'll exercise more discernment in the future when predicting rain for you. The radar return looked favorable. Curse the unpredictability of those rain clouds! :-[
By the way, jethro, did you notice the first episode of TBH on Monday? Jed finds oil, moves the family, etc. It was pretty funny, with Jethro being Jethro. No, you were at work, not home watching TVLand.

Nick, I'm looking for a post from you, too. We both need to get out there and do our thing. I'm going to put a genuine Pennsylvania dug Indian in the mail one of these days, if I can only remember! What's my name again?

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Wheat's, Merc and a GF ring not a bad hunt at all !! GF is better than plated so that's a good thing !! :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH!! :D
What's the difference between those two types? Are plated rings the ones that peel off easily?

WTG, Gold and silver is what it all about !!! Have a Good one and Good luck on your next hunt !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I know you feel much better now! :thumbsup:

Great keepers!

Nana :wink:

Still nice to find a ring H.D. The next one will be 14K....I can feel it :thumbsup:

Looks good Henry. :)

Gold Filled means that it's a solid layer of gold bonded with another metal such as brass. I'm no expert but that sounds a lot better than electroplated. The Gold EP rings I have found were flaking gold off.

Merc looks good too. :icon_sunny:

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back