24K Question

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found my first 24K ring. It looks rather old and was 5 1/2 inches deep. My questions is when did they first start using the 24K marking? The ring also has some sort of asian writing on the inside and four asian letters on the front. On the inside it has two lines of asian writing then the 24K marking.

I will try to post pictures later but either the wife or kids broke not one but two USB ports on my laptop so uploading via a wire is out of the question. Maybe I could take a pic with phone and email it to my computer...we will see.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
NJ

they have always used 24k the egyptians used it we just never see it in the us because it is 2 expensive and 2 soft they use it all over the place in mid eastern countries and in asian countries

they have always used 24k the egyptians used it we just never see it in the us because it is 2 expensive and 2 soft they use it all over the place in mid eastern countries and in asian countries

Thanks...I knew they used it overseas. U.S. jewelery is usually 14K. I was wondering if anyone knew when they actually started marking stuff with 24K. I love the look of this ring. The 24K is a dull gold instead of the shiny gold I usually see. I think this maybe my new favorite ring.

NJ

guntekk1 is right. Gold has been used in pure form forever. So too has alloyed gold. Some cultures (some Asian countries, for instance) still make some jewelry in 24k. But it is soft, and would simply wear away after years of use, from perpetual rubbing, dings, abrasions, etc... from the wearer brushing by things. You can practically leave your fingernail indent in pure gold. Or another example: a pure gold band, you could probably (depending on the thickness) simply smash it flat with your finger pressure, if you wanted. That's why gold is usually alloyed to make it 14 or 18k, etc..

And ironically, it's the alloys that make them into a lower conductor. Gold in its pure form is actually a high conductor. So if you found a small dainty band, that is 24k, it might read up around penny. But that same size band that is 14k, might read down at tab or foil or whatever.

This ring is pretty heavy but your right about the read out on the detector. I can't remember off the top of my head what it rang in at but I was completely suprised when it turned out to be a gold ring. It was nowhere near the lower end of the VDI scale. It was just starting to rain and this was the very last target I dug for the day. Almost skipped it but I usually have to see what a target is if it is 4 inch or deeper.

Thanks

NJ

Nice find a 24K ring is still on my wish list,got 22 twice.Happy hunting.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back