.22 caliber bullet or pellet, any way to tell the age?

gberl001

Jun 17, 2014
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac (w/ Garrett Pro Pointer)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I've mentioned before, I don't know much about reading bullets but this initially looked to me like a pellet. The only thing that was odd to me was the raised ring slightly above the bottom, it didn't seem to fit the form of a pellet, more like the part below the ring may have been crimped in a shell. Anyway, definitely feels like lead, it is very heavy for its weight.

Lastly, is there any way to figure the age on these types of things? I would guess not but just curious, it was found, not in the same hole but, nearby a casing that is so far identified as a 1905 .30 caliber.

IMG_0464[1].JPG

It's a 22 bullet IMO, It looks like the kind I'd use in my rifle in the late 60's and in to the 1970's if memory serves me. If you can, post a picture and measurements on the casing you found?. I would think there could be a few ways to date items such as these. For example, if this bullet design was only produced by a manufacture in a span of 1 to 2 years. Knowing that 2 year span would get you close to the time it was made.

Upvote 0
Do you have access to a grain scale?Basically if it weighs less than 20 grains it is likely to be a type pellet. If more than 20 grains it's more likely to be one of the many .22 's .
If this helps,1 gram=15 grain.And, it's possible it's a .25 also.

Wade

Upvote 0
The casing is definitely not part of this, you can see that post here (scroll down a few posts to see rough dimensions), the pellet/bullet is much smaller than the neck of the casing.

Upvote 0
22 cal. The truncated nose is a fairly new innovation - 1960's or more recent. It will probably weigh 36 to 40 grains. The .22 Stinger on the right has a band like yours.

Mvc-2007f.jpg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No grain scale but I got 2g on my digital scale

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back