.22 cal. found

rmbutcher4

Jun 9, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this while detecting a local pond. Thought it might have been use while committing a crime but after a little research, turns out it only fires .22 cal. crimped rounds. None the less, I thought it was a pretty cool find and thought I would share.

image-324671628.jpg

Upvote 4
Found this while detecting a local pond. Thought it might have been use while committing a crime but after a little research, turns out it only fires .22 cal. crimped rounds. None the less, I thought it was a pretty cool find and thought I would share.

Nice find but I think I would share with the local authorities too. Just in case.

Still coulda been used. Criminals aren't too bright anyway. A blank gun will work in a pickle. Cool find.

You can't shoot anyone with a blank pistol. No need to worry about the police, you'll never see this again if you do.

It's a cool find. Clean it up and put it on display!

Me and a buddy found a .25 caliber pistol today at a lake. The water level is really low because of severe drought and it was laying on the muddy bank. We called the local sherrifs department and they came out and picked it up and took some pics/info. We got to talking and i told him i had a metal detector with me and that i could search for the clip for him if they needed it. He said go ahead, so i searched but no luck. Then he was looking in the water and bent down to pick up a golf ball and said "You guys missed the medallion" I was like WHAT? It was a bank medallion that goes on a necklace that a local bank used to give out. Very cool relic! He kept it for himself :(

Good luck next hunt.

Okay, that's just plain cool! Congrats.

You can't shoot anyone with a blank pistol

Just to let you know,a blank can kill you.A blank can create a pressure wave of a significant amount to blow a hole in you.

Yes, blanks can kill. Remember Brandon Lee?

Heres another one.

Friday October 12th, 1984
Jon-Erik Hexum died on the set of the CBS television series "COVER UP".

The show was being filmed at the Twentieth Century Fox studios lot in Century City, when he 'accidentally' shot himself. The character he was playing was a weapons expert whose cover was that of a fashion show photographer.

During a scene where he is lying in bed, in between takes, he was playing around with a .44 Magnum revolver that was on-set for use as a blank-firing weapon. Shortly after 5:15 p.m. he put the pistol (according to witnesses, it was loaded with three empty cartridges and two blanks) up to his right temple. As he pulled the trigger he smiled, and supposedly said, "Let's see if I got myself with this one." He was apparently unaware that at close range, a blank can cause great damage. The explosion drove a quarter-sized piece of his skull far into his brain. The paper wadding of the straight-walled blank cartridge went straight into his temple and forced a bone chip to lodge in his brain.

A witness' account stated: "John smiled and pulled the trigger. There was a loud bang and a bright flash, then black smoke. Jon screamed in agony, and then looked kind of amazed as he slumped back onto the bed with blood streaming from a severe head wound. It was horrible." Another witness said, "One of the assistants rushed over to Jon with a towel and wrapped it around his head, trying to stop the blood."

Just to let you know,a blank can kill you.A blank can create a pressure wave of a significant amount to blow a hole in you.

Yes, but there is no bullet, so turning this in to the police as was suggested would be useless. There would be no balistics or forensics to compare to crimes.

Brandon Lee was killed because someone put live ammo in a prop gun.

There would be no balistics or forensics to compare to crimes.

Actually there would be,there would be the marks from the firing pin and marks on the cartridge from the firing pin that can be compared.Not to mention marks from the extractor if semiauto. This forensics was done on the cartridges found at the battle of little bighorn.

You can be so dense. You are trying to compare apples to pineapples.

You can be so dense. You are trying to compare apples to pineapples.

I'm not being dense,I'm being realistic.Youre the one talking about things when you have no idea about them.Who's the dense one,looks like you are.:laughing9:

Take it to the cops. Might clear up a cold case. Tell them you will keep your eyes open for more of this kind of stuff as you MD THROUGH THE PARKS AND OTHER GREEN AREAS OF YOUR FAIR CITY. Maybe they'll cut you some slack in the future...

Nice find enjoy it. I doubt the cap gun cops are looking for it. Nice addition to your finds.

You can't shoot anyone with a blank pistol.

That's not true:

Can a blank bullet to the head kill you?
The Risks of Shooting a Gun with a Blank

Don't want anyone getting the wrong ideas. Better to be educated than not.

No need to worry about the police, you'll never see this again if you do.

That's not true either. Make them give you a receipt for it and if they can't link it to a crime, they must by law return it to you as it's your property, whether it was found in a park or not. The city doesn't own everything on public property. Same principle applies to money you find that you turn in; if no one claims it, you get it back after a certain time period.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back