Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this patented object out of a field. It says, Also Pat. in Russia, with no visible date or number. It has different countries listed, I guess part of a international patent, Spain, Japan, Australia, Germany, France and others. On the bottom ring of info it says, A Schrader's Son NY. and the word pat., the rest is worn and weathered away. It is threaded 7/8 OD brass. Any ideas as to its purpose.

Attachments

• Question Mark.jpg
    Question Mark.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 970
A quick long shot... but wouldn't it be cool. "Schrader is one of the companies that produced the Mark V for the US Navy."

This was a 20 second search so I wouldn't bet too much on it! ;D (I just thought these things were cool looking) I might have to read more. :thumbsup:

http://www.divingheritage.com/schrader2.htm

Attachments

• P3100046.jpg
    P3100046.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 2,328
Upvote 0
It's a canteen lid. :thumbsup:
[This is a vintage Palco aluminum canteen manufactured by the Worcester Pressed Aluminum Co. Of Worcester, MA ca WWI. It carries a patent date of May 4, 1915. The company manufactured military mess kits and canteens during both world wars, and also made aluminum camping kits, often produced for the Boy Scouts. This 7-3/4" diameter canteen is approximately 2" thick. Its convex front features the Palco logo surrounded by a laurel leaf wreath and its plain back has a large concave portion in the center. The aluminum is still amazingly shiny and not nearly as scratched as you’d expect for a canteen of this age. The screw-on cap with large hanging loop is marked “Schrader Reg. U.S. Pat. Off. Made in U.S.A.” This canteen makes a marvelous display piece, but it’s also still fully functional. It doesn’t leak and there’s no odor from inside. The cap still screws on and off perfectly. /color]

Attachments

• PalcoCanteen-t[1].jpg
    PalcoCanteen-t[1].jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 2,043
Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
Iron Patch said:
A quick long shot... but wouldn't it be cool. "Schrader is one of the companies that produced the Mark V for the US Navy."

This was a 20 second search so I wouldn't bet too much on it! ;D (I just thought these things were cool looking) I might have to read more. :thumbsup:

Throw in an octopus and some popcorn and I'm in.

Done. The octopus has a little baggage, still interested?

:happy1:

Attachments

• octomom3.jpg
    octomom3.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 848
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
artyfacts said:
Iron Patch said:

Throw in an octopus and some popcorn and I'm in.

Done. The octopus has a little baggage, still interested?

:happy1:
:laughing7: ;D :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
Wow that is one well thought out stopper. I really like seeing the patent illustrations there remarkable.
bigcypresshunter said:
It may be a stopper for a hot water bag. Patent 1906. http://tinyurl.com/29mtkf9
There are quite a few patents on this shape. Yours may be a WWI canteen like timekiller says. Can you read a date? Heres another in 1918.

Attachments

• patent water bottle.jpg
    patent water bottle.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 951
Upvote 0
Ok, I changed my mind, I'll put that old helmet on that's shown above and dive in a while. ;D Looks like she might have a bag of relics too. :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

Attachments

• nadya-suleman-aka-the-octomom_100304866_s.jpg
    nadya-suleman-aka-the-octomom_100304866_s.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 781
Upvote 0
Iron Patch said:
Ok, I changed my mind, I'll put that old helmet on that's shown above and dive in a while. ;D Looks like she might have a bag of relics too. :icon_scratch: :laughing7:
Your killing me! :laughing9: :laughing7: :notworthy: I'm purdy sure that's recycled :icon_scratch: ;D
Take Care,
Pete :hello:

Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
Careful jumping in IP. I hear there's a sucker born every minute....

I kid you not, I was sitting here trying to think of what to come back with and nothing was coming to mind, then I glance at the water I've been drinking and the brand is "big 8" (What are the chances) :laughing9: .... Water? big 8? Maybe I will pass on that dive, I can take a hint! :laughing7:

No, I'd just give her a fake name! :headbang:

Upvote 0
Back to the subject....
artyfacts said:
I wonder why this carries a international patent? The drawings are very thorough in detail. You would think this strange top would pop right out at you. Maybe the reason for the international patent.
The patent is for the idea. So the same idea could have many applications (such as a hot watter bottle and a canteen). I dont know much about international patents. Maybe this was needed to exclusively manufacture the idea in other countries. They must have manufactured a lot of canteens during WWI in these patented countries.

Upvote 0
artyfacts said:
Found this on internet. Our church Thrift Shop was given a canteen, round/flat about 8" dia., steel tinned or chromed. It looks like the M1885 except for screw stopper instead of cork. The stopper is stamped

"A. Schrader & Son, Inc. N.Y.
Pat. March 27, 06 & Oct. 24, 08
GT Britain - Japan - Australia - Austria - France - Germany
Also Pat. in Russia"

Answer or reply, Well, I specialize in Confederate History but have opted to research it. Write me at [email protected]. I have found (and I did not know) that they had screw top canteens in the War (Southerners only recognize one war). By WWI canteen at least for Americans looked much like WWII's; I am almost certain it from the Philippine-American War and worth around sixty dollars. There are numerous reenactment groups who might pay a little more.

Looks like the writings a match. Anyone out there able to come up with a patent illustration?
Im not sure what kind of patent illustration you are looking for. The patent is for the stopper I think. It most likely came from a WWI canteen. There are a bunch of Shrader patents. Here are a few more if you care to search for a better illustration. http://tinyurl.com/27nrxrk

Upvote 0
The canteen. (Mojjaxs pics)

Attachments

• Picture_009_(2).jpg
    Picture_009_(2).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 587
  • Picture_010.jpg
    Picture_010.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread