2008 starting off not too bad

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
I've been frustrated the past couple weeks because I have not been able to get any response from owners of homes here in Banning to give their permission for me to detect their old properties. But today I got a break. I knocked on a door of an old house in town and informed the lady living there I was going to detect the city easement in front of her house. We got to talking and then she gave me permission to hunt inside her yard. No silver today, but I did get a few nice treats:

A 1889 IH (matched the date of my oldest IH), 1929 Wheatie, and a 1904 IH

1889_IH_1929_WH.jpg

1904_IH.jpg

I then snagged a very tiny copper ring (which I assume is probably from the early 1900s) with a nice little intricate design.

copper_ring.jpg

And then I got what appears to be an old gold-plated clip, and judging from the patina coming out it must have been made of copper on the inside.

goldclip_front.jpg

The backside has a stamp on the clip part but without a loop or magnifying glass I am unable to make it out clearly. It looks like it says "S.85" or something like that. Unfortunately it broke right where the stamp is at.

goldclip_back.jpg

All of the above were found with my Silver uMax w/stock coil. I'm gonna go back again and use the 12x10 to see if I missed any deep silver.

Oh, and last week I was in Pasadena and detected a city easement in front of an old house and found this neat button. I don't necessarily try to find buttons, nor am I that interested in them, but I really liked this one. Hopefully someone can ID it for me as I know nothing about buttons. It seems originally to have been red in color.

button.jpg

Now, if only I can get permission to hunt what I believe to be the oldest house in Banning–built in 1892!

Ray

Upvote 0
Very nice Ray! :) I was going to say that the hallmark on the clip is probably "585" (14K is 58.5% gold...probably referring to the gold content of the gold plating), but that DOES look like an "S".

HH!
TBGO

Attachments

• goldclip_back.jpg
    goldclip_back.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 511
Congrats! on some great finds, and getting off to a great start for the new year...
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Thanks Leon!

Hey TGBO, you just may be right. In fact, if the picture were turned around it would read 58.5. Very cool, although I am unsure as to what kind of clip this would be. It looks too small to be a tie clip, but of course maybe tie clips were different back then or this was a tie clip for a child.

The ring and IH pennies are soaking right now in a hot peroxide bath. Hopefully it'll bring out a bit more detail.

I also figured out that the button is a navy eagle military button, but I am unsure how old it is.

Ray

Ray in CA said:
Hey TGBO, you just may be right. In fact, if the picture were turned around it would read 58.5. Very cool, although I am unsure as to what kind of clip this would be. It looks too small to be a tie clip, but of course maybe tie clips were different back then or this was a tie clip for a child.

Yeah, that's got to be it. Nice.

HH!
TBGO

Wow Ray. Those are great finds, thanks for sharing. I've seen a few spots in your area too, I'll tell you about them.

Thanks again.

The Beep Goes On said:
Very nice Ray! :) I was going to say that the hallmark on the clip is probably "585" (14K is 58.5% gold...probably referring to the gold content of the gold plating), but that DOES look like an "S".

HH!
TBGO
I was thinking that it looked more like "S & S" from the photo. Either way you had a good hunt and congrats on the great finds.
DJH

Very nice finds! Love the variety and that you are pulling cool history out of the ground! WTG!!

HH,
Moon

2008 starting off not too bad I guess not, good work there

I have about 24" of snow here can not wait to go out

HH DDEII

WOW!!! That's a terrific start for the new year. Those Indians should clean up pretty good in that hot peroxide bath. Nice looking vintage ring and tie clasp. Those city easements are great places to hunt because alot of people overlook them, congrats on all of your finds. Thanks for posting. Continued Success and HH.

Thanks everyone!

Ant, looking forward to hearing about what you've seen here in Banning that sparked your interest.

I was able to go back to the same house later this afternoon where I found all of the above, and I started pulling out a few more items. First, a 1911 S and a 1927 D wheat pennies.

1911_WH.jpg

1927_WH.jpg

And then, ANOTHER button! I've never thought buttons would be fun to find, but I'm starting to like them. This one has an insignia on it that says "SPECTEMUR AGENDO." I have no idea what that means.

Edit...Actually, I just came across it on Wikipedia. It is a Latin motto meaning "Let us be judged by our acts."

From Wiki:

In the United States, it is the motto of several college fraternities including:
the Cap and Skull Senior Honor Society (Rutgers College),
the Beta Charge of Theta Delta Chi Fraternity at Cornell University,
It is the Motto found on the challenge coin of Medic One paramedics.
It is the official motto of:
Westminster Choir College
Apple Valley Police Department of Minnesota.
The Anaheim Kingsmen Drum and Bugle Corps - the 1972 DCI world champions

button-1.jpg

I was sure I was gonna come across silver, and even put on my 12x10 coil just to get some extra depth, and then next thing I know a relative of the lady who lives in the house came home and told me I had to leave. Something about the kids not being able to play in the yard while I was there, which was a bum excuse because one of the kids was helping me dig things up yesterday and today just a few minutes before he arrived. I didn't argue, I just said "OK, no problem. Thanks."

What a drag, because I learned the house was built in 1906!

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back