2004 error dime?

BcuttinPlugs

Mar 6, 2014
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/fisher f2 garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I found a dime today in the coin star return tray. When I look at coins I turn them to the side to look for a copper edge or not. Well I was excited I found my first silver coin at a coin star. That was until I saw the 2004 date. Has me stumped because it has no copper on the edge and when I drop it to the ground it even has a ping type sound unlike a normal dime and almost like a silver dime. Being that the mint isn't minting silver I doubt it's silver. My guess it's either fake (but who's making fake dimes) or it's missing copper all together. Any thoughts? I tried getting a good pic from my phone but can't seem to get a good shot. I'll keep trying or I'm thinking tomorrow in the daylight I'll be able to get a clear shot. Until then any thoughts?

Upvote 2
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456116243.958418.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456116260.576053.jpg

So I know everyone is going to want pics. This is the best I can do right now. Also it weighs in at 2.5 grams and a quick search says they should weigh 2.2 or 2.3 can't remember now but 2.5 is the weight and I weighed other dimes to make sure scales arnt off and it's reading right so any help?

They made 2004-S Proof dimes in both clad & silver...........you have the silver version.

Iowa Dale

yep, someone busted up a proof set and spent it

congrats on a silver proof dime! It's possible it was someone's pocket piece that got lost and found, or accidentally ended up in the change jar.

Must have had tough times to break up a proof set, but their loss is your gain.

Looking at the second pic, it makes you wonder why such a bad strike(off centre) would make the cut as a proof specimen, if I was laying down the price for a proof piece, I would expect the quality to be better than that

Nice find. I have found a few silver coins in the coinstars in Arizona while here for the winter but never anything proof. By the way, what town are you near in Central Pa? I live near Altoona.
View attachment 1275968 View attachment 1275969

So I know everyone is going to want pics. This is the best I can do right now. Also it weighs in at 2.5 grams and a quick search says they should weigh 2.2 or 2.3 can't remember now but 2.5 is the weight and I weighed other dimes to make sure scales arnt off and it's reading right so any help?

I live in Altoona

It can be from a proof set. I dug one a couple years ago that's a 1976s. If it has an s mint mark I'd say proof set. Cool find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back