2 wheaties, 3 foodstamp tokens, and 2 bullets

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted in a long time but here are a few things I've dug over the past few days at local places in my town.
-1919 S Wheatie
-1936 Wheatie in terrible shape
-2 five cent and one twenty-five cent I.G.A. Foodstamp tokens (from the 50s or 60s??)
-a couple of fired bullets

Thanks for looking!

20141017_105008.jpg

Upvote 5
Good Stuff

I dug a 1919 P in about the same Condition last week.

The Mint's must have had Some Good 'Alloy' That year .

Then again they minted a boat Load of 1919 P's that year as well a Lot of 1919 S Cents as well.

Also those Food tokens Would not buy much these days . lol

Davers

The alloy must be good! After I dug the 1919-S it was caked so bad on the front that I thought it was just super corroded. I just had to know the date, regardless of whether or not I damaged it in the process. I rubbed it for about 10 minutes with a pencil eraser expecting to destroy it completely and to my surprise the coin came out to be somewhat glossy and in really decent shape, revealing the date perfectly!

Sweet digs! :icon_thumright:

Cool Tokens! I found a Plastic food stamp token for 1 cent last year, they were used as change for real food stamps, to avoid people buying an item for 5 cents and using a dollar food stamp token, hoping to get 95 cents in real change back

Hello frojones. Nice finds...the tokens are great. Judging by our current government policies, I bet you still cash them in ... with considerable interest! LOL. Good luck. C9

Thank you everyone! I've had my F2 since April and this hobby is so much fun! It has been my best friend, giving me coal scrip, wheat pennies, cap guns, toy cars, bullets, and much more! I can't wait to eventually dig some silver coins. I've not had any luck with that so far but I'm hopeful! There must be some silver hiding around Wise County somewhere. The question is where? :D

Thank you everyone! I've had my F2 since April and this hobby is so much fun! It has been my best friend, giving me coal scrip, wheat pennies, cap guns, toy cars, bullets, and much more! I can't wait to eventually dig some silver coins. I've not had any luck with that so far but I'm hopeful! There must be some silver hiding around Wise County somewhere. The question is where? :D

The Eraser Worked Good ..

What is Coal Script ?

Many Great Relics/ Silver in Va. I,m Guessing Wise Co, is in Western Va.

Enjoy the Hobby.

Davers

Hey Davers, yep Wise is in the southwest tip of VA. Coal scrip was a form of "currency" (tokens or paper) paid to coal company employees that could only be spent at a specific store that was owned by that same coal company. This allowed the store to inflate its prices because the miners had no choice but to shop there. Some stores would allow scrip to be traded in for cash, but with a fee that decreased its value. That practice is illegal now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back