2 Unknowns: Ring-like object, and old hair barrette??

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found these both at a place that's yielded objects from the 1900s to today. The first one I thought was a ring, but there's some kind of odd attachment on it. Thought maybe it was one of those self-protection objects, but it would be awkward. Plus there is a seam on the inside of the "ring." There is a butterfly inside a heart at the top. Any ideas at all? Age?

Second piece is brass. The first thing that comes to mind for me is an antique hair barrette. What do you guys think? Age?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• ring resized.jpg
    ring resized.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 106
  • ring top resized.jpg
    ring top resized.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 92
  • ring inside resized.jpg
    ring inside resized.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 89
  • barrette resized top.jpg
    barrette resized top.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 101
  • barrette under resized.jpg
    barrette under resized.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 82
The second is a barrette.The first one is the one that has me stumped.

Upvote 0
The ring is an interesting piece. Cheaply made. I don't get the impression that it is seriously old. Maybe mid 20th C? No proof, just a hunch...

The only thing I can think of is its a key for a young girl's diary or trinket box which can also be worn as a ring. I searched but couldn't find anything remotely close to it.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
First one is a squirt ring...
Second is a Barrett.

I don't get how it can be a squirt ring. There is no hole to squirt from...

That appears to be a solid shaft on the side. All the squirt rings I looked at have a hole in the top of the ring.

:dontknow:

Upvote 0
Cant find the exact one...
And wow... when I searched for this.. a lot of um... Adult things came up... heh
Anyway...
Here is idea...
37244_a_zm.jpg

Upvote 0
Cant find the exact one...
And wow... when I searched for this.. a lot of um... Adult things came up... heh
Anyway...
Here is idea...

squirt ring.jpg

I saw that one and others like it. They all have a hole in the face of the ring. The OP ring does not have a hole that I can see. I don't think it is a squirt ring.

Also too small - IMO - to be a napkin ring.

Upvote 0
Regarding a squirt ring, as mentioned above, there are no holes in the ring and that extension part has no holes either (plus it's metal, so there's no way to squeeze it). I too believe it's too small for a napkin ring. It's finger-ring size - roughly 3/4" opening for the circle. So it's probably about a size 8 or 9.

Is it possible the ring was cast, and the extra piece is where the metal was poured into the mold? Maybe it's an unfinished ring and that piece was meant to be broken off?

Upvote 0
Tis a bubble gum machine butterfly (girls) squirt gun "gag" ring... with the "bulb" missing...
Just cannot find a pic.
Tired of looking...
My guess.

Upvote 0
Actually... I take the "butterfly" part back... could be heart one...
I think it is the earliest one made...
And really rare...
IF,,, I repeat IF... this is in fact what it is.
Sheesh could be a poison ring...
I am by no means a "squirt ring" expert... heh.

KA72.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back