2 Risky Punts & The Copse Field Game Strip - 2 Hammered (1 BIGGIE) & ROMAN SILVER...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our plan A to do a field that has been on my mind since 2017 sort of backfired as the window had nearly closed. The spring beans were starting to show, so we did a small 1 hour grid & I got 2 Hammered, exactly what I was expecting. Below is my quote from the above link;
''We were still in scouting mode & tried an un-searched field with no intel, but I had a hunch it should produce medieval, & we are really low on hammered this year (might end up our lowest), so it was worth a shot. At the 2 hour point we had lots of averages finds & some good indicators that with some further gridding a hammered may show.''
This field was so far down the list, it only just popped up. Now we have confirmed my hunch, it will go up the list for after harvest.

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..
Hammered Groat of Edward IV 1467-8
Charles I Half Crown 1625-48
(biggest denomination that we find rarely, never had a full crown yet) In the field & even at home for awhile I thought this must be a contemporary forgery, as I thought it was bleeding copper, they did have plated fakes. However, started to realise the copper was on top of the coin, so it must have been up against another object. See before shot & after lemon juice treatment.

As it was a risk taking day, we went to another field we have never done, & thankfully its not been drilled yet. It's huge, so the plan was to split up & scout it for 1 hour & then move to Copse Field which Land-Mag had suggested, because the game strip was deep ploughed. Nothing special on our scout but we had plenty of signs that we need to return for a big grid. So very encouraging.
Bit of a Silver Thimble & best find in this field was Cru'dad's 18th C Nut Cracker in working order!

2 Hours doing 1/2 acre of Bird cover. Ankle breaker, so this will be the first pass before its flatten & drilled.
We are amazed at what this small area keeps throwing up after a deep plough:
7 Scrappies
Roman Nail Cleaner (Type that hung from a Brooch)
Bit of a Roman Bracelet
Roman Silver Ant of Postumus AD260s (Reverse type we need)

Land-Mag went to detect this spot without a spade, not the brightest move, but he left 2 flags for signals he couldn't scrape. The red flag was iron & the white one was a scrappy. Note to Land-Mag; as it had no detail we will just chuck it in with all the others. Glad it wasn't that Silver, I would have been sick returning that one to you.:thumbsup:

Way better than the day we expected.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 30
That sure is one big silver sitting beside the Groat - which is crisp for sure.:occasion14:
Nice Roman as well, seems to have a bit of a scale look to it-soil conditions?
Cracking recovery to your Dad on the nut cracker-liking that one a whole lot.

Our plan A to do a field that has been on my mind since 2017 sort of backfired as the window had nearly closed. The spring beans were starting to show, so we did a small 1 hour grid & I got 2 Hammered, exactly what I was expecting. Below is my quote from the above link;
''We were still in scouting mode & tried an un-searched field with no intel, but I had a hunch it should produce medieval, & we are really low on hammered this year (might end up our lowest), so it was worth a shot. At the 2 hour point we had lots of averages finds & some good indicators that with some further gridding a hammered may show.''
This field was so far down the list, it only just popped up. Now we have confirmed my hunch, it will go up the list for after harvest.

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..
(biggest denomination that we find rarely, never had a full crown yet) In the field & even at home for awhile I thought this must be a contemporary forgery, as I thought it was bleeding copper, they did have plated fakes. However, started to realise the copper was on top of the coin, so it must have been up against another object. See before shot & after lemon juice treatment.

As it was a risk taking day, we went to another field we have never done, & thankfully its not been drilled yet. It's huge, so the plan was to split up & scout it for 1 hour & then move to Copse Field which Land-Mag had suggested, because the game strip was deep ploughed. Nothing special on our scout but we had plenty of signs that we need to return for a big grid. So very encouraging.
Bit of a Silver Thimble & best find in this field was Cru'dad's 18th C Nut Cracker in working order!

2 Hours doing 1/2 acre of Bird cover. Ankle breaker, so this will be the first pass before its flatten & drilled.
7 Scrappies
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

Land-Mag went to detect this spot without a spade, not the brightest move, but he left 2 flags for signals he couldn't scrape. The red flag was iron & the white one was a scrappy. Note to Land-Mag; as it had no detail we will just chuck it in with all the others. Glad it wasn't that Silver, I would have been sick returning that one to you.:thumbsup:

View attachment 2077240View attachment 2077241View attachment 2077242View attachment 2077243View attachment 2077244View attachment 2077245View attachment 2077246View attachment 2077247View attachment 2077248
Cru', love the nut cracker...and love that it is still functional....I know another detectorist who brought a kitchen utensil to dig with once. :)

Maybe if Landmag had brought his dog with him you might have had to return a gold piece?

Great finds!

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..

7 Scrappies
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

View attachment 2077240View attachment 2077241View attachment 2077242View attachment 2077243View attachment 2077244View attachment 2077245View attachment 2077246View attachment 2077247View attachment 2077248
That’s a great haul! Congrats

Nice going Crusader :) Thanks for sharing with us !!

You find many good things, but you earn them. That is a lot of work! Nice job! I can only dream of such ancient stuff. My oldest find was from 1853.
Thanks, your right it is a lot of work & without the support of Cru'dad & Land-mag it wouldn't be this successful.

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..

7 Scrappies
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

Another day in paradise!!!

Cru', love the nut cracker...and love that it is still functional....I know another detectorist who brought a kitchen utensil to dig with once. :)

Maybe if Landmag had brought his dog with him you might have had to return a gold piece?

Great finds!
Very true ! Her site 'Fan's site' is still producing . Fan passed a few years ago, dog in a million, I now have Welsh sheepdog' Seren' same breed so hopefully a nose for gold too !

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..

7 Scrappies
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

well done on the game strip, hope you can still walk

Never thought I would see a nutcracker for a detecting find. Pretty neat.

Very true ! Her site 'Fan's site' is still producing . Fan passed a few years ago, dog in a million, I now have Welsh sheepdog' Seren' same breed so hopefully a nose for gold too !
Landmag, sorry to hear Fan passed... it's hard to lose a best friend...I would love to see a post of Seren helping to find gold!

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..

7 Scrappies
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

1 hour first field;
1/2 Spec Buckle
1797 Penny
Bits..

7 Scrappies
Bit of a Roman Bracelet

Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back