South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
three day business trip to Orlando. First night snuck off to cocoa beach second night to Daytona Beach to do some evening detecting. Evening temperatures in the mid 60s and the water was actually still somewhat warm, although I focused primarily on dry sand areas.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479178517.181098.jpg

The odd: I've found rotted out rusted out pocket knives this year but mostly from wooded areas. This is an awfully large folding knife for the beach? Hopefully someone was using it to cut bait for fishing.

A Nail that size is obviously not something someone would want to step on at the beach, found it about 3 inches down.

The mystery:

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479179039.340313.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479179204.490656.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479179301.430431.jpg

Horn shaped item. It rings in the nickel/low Gold range. There appears to be a yellowish green stone embedded in the fat end. and there is a small oval hole near this fat end. Anyone have an idea as to what this is?

Thx!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479179094.130527.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1479179094.130527.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 5
:dontknow: Sorry No Idea Chug And Red

Really nice find...next time you are on the east coast, stop by New Smyrna Beach...it is probably still the "locals" choice, and highly trafficked. It is just south of Daytona. Head a little south to Titusville, and eat at Dixie Crossroads....great seafood.

The horn is likely jewelry, as you described it. Back in the 70s-80s, that was a very popular motif. You might want to have it checked, as many mounted stones were in 10K or 14K, or GF. Can't get a good look at the hole you described, but it probably was attached to a necklace by a split ring or small link.

The pocket knife looks like a Buck #110. If so, they're guaranteed for life.

Not sure, but I think the knife might be a copycat and not a Buck. ...But just guessing.

And no, not too large of a knife for someone to carry on a beach. True, it probably isn't the norm, but some people feel safer when they have a weapon on them. For me, knives are tools rather than weapons. I've never taken one to a fight and never will. There are much better tools for fighting with!

It could've been a necklace pendant. It probably was gold plated but the gold wore away from being in the water.

I'm going with once gold plated (some gilding visible in better light) pendant, hole in back allowing light to pass through stone. Probably from the 80's, it was in the wet sand and probably finally made its way back. Last time I was i was in Daytona was spring break, 1989, wild times for a 19 year old.... thanks for the ID help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back