Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 Items from Sight that has brought many items from early 1700's to late 1800's

Hi All, I found 3 items that have me scratching my head. These were both found in a area where I dug a Draped bust large cent, And just yesterday Treblehunter dug a 1723 coin.

The first one is Marked Sterling and makes me think some sort of Pen piece, It is 2 pieces and I forced them apart. I am glad I did since you can see it was some sort of a twist mechanism. At first when I dug it I thought maybe a cigarette holder or pipe end but now with the twist section I am leaning towards some sort of writing device. Have you ever seen one?

Second was found in the same area, it is a flattened tube with a threaded end on one side. it looks like it would be maybe 5/8" to 3/4" if made round again. I did not try to open it up since it seems kind of brittle after all these years. Can you identify? thanks for the help

This one Was dug in a similar area. It looks like it was maybe some sort of a pic and is about 3/4" to 1" in diameter. It may have had something else on it. It appears it has a 96 in the design? Maybe a 1796 political pin? Jefferson and Adams were running for president that year.

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzz11.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzz11.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Google vintage lipstick tubes,Your first item bears a resemblance and you twisted them to get the lipstick up and then back down into the tube.It would have been two pieces a cap and the bottom that twisted.

Upvote 0
Did they have lipstick at about 1/4" diameter? I have zero makeup knowledge :)

Another thought would be a safety razor they twisted for changing the blades.Google vintage safety razors.Maybe a Woman's version.

Upvote 0
Did they have lipstick at about 1/4" diameter? I have zero makeup knowledge :)

No idea on that zero knowledge on lipstick either it just resembled some my Mom had in the 60's.

Upvote 0
The second brass piece looks like a flatten piece that went on a 19th C parasol.

Upvote 0
Silver item is part of a pencil. Would have had a glass bead in the end.

Attachments

• Aikinlambert2a1.jpg
    Aikinlambert2a1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0
Item 1 could be parts from a late 19th C mechanical pencil.

9c7e4f8674741154947177506ca6b762.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm not seeing a '96' on the third piece. To me it looks like a shamrock inside a horseshoe. Maybe the backing to a horse bridle rosette?

rosette lead.jpg

Upvote 0
The picture with what appears to be a 96 is part of a padlock keyhole cover that actually says S&C. This is the Sargent and Company logo. This company began manufacturing locks in New Haven, CT in 1884. Rotate your image just over 1/4 turn counterclockwise or DC Matt's picture just over 1/4 turn clockwise to read the S&C.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The first pic might be a chalk holder. The prongs look very familiar and remind me of a chalk holder. It could twist to push it out as it wore the chalk down. Just a guess...

Upvote 0
The picture with what appears to be a 96 is part of a padlock keyhole cover that actually says S&C. This is the Sargent and Company logo. This company began manufacturing locks in New Haven, CT in 1884. Rotate your image just over 1/4 turn counterclockwise or DC Matt's picture just over 1/4 turn clockwise to read the S&C.

Thanks, looks like a good match!

Upvote 0
The first pic might be a chalk holder. The prongs look very familiar and remind me of a chalk holder. It could twist to push it out as it wore the chalk down. Just a guess...

Taz420 posted a exact match I think. Looks like a early mechanical pencil peice.

Upvote 0
The first is definitely from a silver mechanical pencil. The second one might be a stamped brass ramrod channel. Believe it or not, I've dug very flimsy examples of ramrod channels-stamped not cast brass. The third one could also be a clog clasp, but I think the guys are on the right track with the lock, esp. considering the rust stains.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back