2 Indian heads, the first large cent in a long time, 3 rings and another dollar coin

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went to a ball field that does not get a lot of use. It has an old baseball field that hasn’t been used in a long time from its condition and is now used for soccer as 2 smaller field. I pass it on the way to the K to 8 school and the little community park. I have stopped for a few short hunts on the way home in the past but I have never had a lot of luck. This trip I didn’t have a lot of time but I thought it was time to give it a better try and I’m glad I did.

I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 62 coins with a face value of $4.08, a large cent, an IHP, 3 wheaties, a cheapie modern embellishment, a house key, an aluminum kiddie ring, a harmonica reed, a Cadillac emblem (cheapie material so not very old), a shotgun headstamp, can slaw, tabs (42 this trip), aluminum foil, a few personal tent pegs and some melted aluminum.

DSCN3512.jpeg

About mid way through the hunt I got a mixed high and low tone signal. Sometimes they are deep nails and occasionally that produces a deep wheatie. This time it was neither it was a well worn Indian head penny. The dirt was sticking to the penny pretty well and it took a bit of rubbing to see it was an Indian. I could make out the 90 so I was sure it was not from the 1800s. When I got home and cleaned off the dirt I could see it was a 1902.

DSCN3518.jpeg

DSCN3517.jpeg

Later on I got a decent high tone and dug the plug. I pinpointed the plug and the target was in the plug so I broke it open. And there right on top of the broken piece was a largie. Again I couldn’t get a date until I got home. It is a real crusty 1847 large cent. I don’t find a lot of these and not sure if the best way to remove the crusty. When I tried to get the crust off the Indian war belt plate it took a long time and I still didn’t get very good results. Any advice would be welcome but it looks like it might be deteriorating and any effort to clean it would probably destroy all the existing details. This is the first large cent I have found since November of 2022 so it was a very welcome surprise.

IMG_9093.jpeg
DSCN3513.jpeg

DSCN3516.jpeg

The field I detected has not been in use for more than about 40 years. So finds this old were quite a nice surprise. You never know how the ground was used before the ball field was created. I have found that you can find old treasures almost anywhere. It takes a lot of work and you have to be thorough in your searching, but keep swingin and dig anything that sound possible and the goodies will appear.

DSCN3515.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the same field as DAY 1 to start gridding the part of the field where the IHP and the largie were found. I’m hoping there might be another oldie and maybe a silver one waiting to be found.

I spent another 4 hours swingin the CZ21. I would have detected longer, but I got rained out. I did manage to find 43 coins with a face value of $4.50, a dollar coin, an Indian head penny, a wheatie, a SPURS token, 2 rings, an inhaler, a railroad tie plate, aluminum bottle caps, lots of can slaw, a few other pieces of large iron, a piece of copper tubing with a brass connector and 38 more tabs.

DSCN3520.jpeg

IMG_9103.jpeg

The dollar coin is a Harry Truman dollar. The Indian head is unfortunately crusty and in poor condition like many of the other older coins we find around here. It is an 1881 and the wheatie is a 1917.

DSCN3522.jpeg

DSCN3521.jpeg

DSCN3524.jpeg

The ring on the left looks like it is silver with turquoise in it, but it is plated so nothing good. The other ring looks like copper and the style makes me believe it is an older kiddie ring. Possible from the 40s or 50s.

DSCN3523.jpeg

None of the silver I was hoping for, but the IHP made the day.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
While I was in New Mexico I went for my morning walks and found some pennies, dimes and a dollar bill. I also found a dime in the airport on the way home, a penny in a coinstar at home and a quarter in the coin return at the mall.

DSCN3525.jpeg

I found a little lady bug when I knelt down to pinpoint a find. They can be pests when they infest your home in the fall. But when it is just one out in the field they are kind of cute.

IMG_9097.jpeg

After my trip to New Mexico I only had 2 days to detect this week. I got lucky and found some oldies so I had a good week even if it was another short one. Next week I should be able to get back to my 4 hunt week. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• DSCN3519.jpeg
    DSCN3519.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back