2 inch dredge help!!

snogold

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2014
I'm building a 2 inch dredge and the build is going great, only thing is.... Something just doesn't seem right, I know I don't have riffles out in yet but that's what treasure net I for so here are some pics and will take any advice under consideration. I have sluiced in the past so this isn't new to me but the dredge concept is, same basic ideology just bigger and more complex. As I get farther in the build I'll put more pics up for further aid .... Any suggestions on the expanded metal or riffle design would e helpful that's the main part I'm having trouble designing

Attachments

• image-2023344165.jpg
    image-2023344165.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 132
  • image-1787455994.jpg
    image-1787455994.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2559199652.jpg
    image-2559199652.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with using raised expanded for riffles. Most gold that is recovered today is in the small to fine range ie: 1/8" and smaller. I ran 4# grating in a 4" dredge last year and did quit well. If you are concerned you can always replace one section with "Hungarian Riffles" either at the top or the bottom. There are 2 trains of thought about this. One is you want to target the smaller gold first as there is more of it then larger, so you would put the riffles down lower. Second train of thought is people don't like the fact that your trapping the "nuggets" on the lower part of the sluice (it's close to going back into the water) but in reality gold is very heavy and the chances are slim.

Check out this thread:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/dredging-hi-banking/409455-dredge-newbies.html

Great thanks, I was curious cause up here in Washington state most of the gold is small flakes and flour gold unless I get 4ft+ in some of these rivers and creeks. So this will have to catch mostly small gold and as I get it built and test there will be endless tinkering as always in prospecting

I noticed that your expanded metal is not laying flat against your miners moss. it's very important to secure it down flat against the moss.
Bend it flat and then wedge the sides down using the inward lip at the top of the sides of your sluice for an anchor point.

Also make sure that the raised edge of the expanded metal is oriented in the sluice like a riffle so that a low pressure area is created on the down hill side.

Here is the way the raised edges should angle toward the sluice exit " / "

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:
If you're going to run that miners moss put some ribbed matting under it or the fine gold will slide under and out.

Well all looks good, I'm putting in the riffles in the middle and leave the upper straight expanded metal and installing brackets to keep everything tight to the moss, I'm gonna order more ribbed Matt for under the moss, with the flour and fine gold in Washington state I think it will work out pretty good, once the build is done I'll post pics of my results

Got the riffles in and welded on a short handle so I don't mess up my hands while pulling out the tray

image-1089341589.png

image-924932908.png

I see a major problem with what you did. The bottom of the riffle isn't sealed tight, if you shine a flash light and can see light under the riffle, your going to blow gold.

This is only temporary I am also puttin in brackets and additions riffle pieces to keep them tight reduce the gap on the bottom, but thank for the input,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back