2 Gold Pieces!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
So I was talking to a friend and he was telling me that his son found TWO five dollar gold pieces less than ten feet apart. :o With some prodding, he confessed that his son had gotten permission to hunt a spot in town that had was just cleared of a hundred years of debris. Seems that back during the boom days of the town there was a saloon there. The saloon was built very close to the ground or actually on the ground as the old pics attest. After some debate, it was agreed that there must have been some nice cracks between the floor boards and the gold fell through and was never recovered until a couple of months ago. What a lucky guy huh?!?!? TWO TEN FEET APART... I could hunt a lifetime and never find a gold piece and he gets two in fifteen minutes!!!! 8) >:( :D ;) 8) >:( ;D :D

Upvote 0
That's a great story. I would love to see them. What year were they?

Hurry, get your detector and get over there! ;)

Sounds like a story you'd read in Treasure Magazine. I too would be glad to find just one. Of course when I do, I hope it's a Double Eagle. Quick, grab your detector; there may still be one left behind.

Haupin, one was 1898 and I don't remember the other. I think it was 1901. Either way, they are worth about 175 bucks each. I wish that I could go hunt that spot, but even if I could, I assure you that he DFX'ed it out. He hunted it for a week solid and it only measures about 75 feet square.

DigEmAll;
"Don't forget that its never dug out"
Try and return, differant day, differant ground conditions may end up with a differant coin don't give up, you know what they say if you don't go you wont know. Good Luck....

I just love hearing stories like that. Although I would love to find a million of them, I'm not sure if it would be that fun afterwards. I like the anticipation... Of course I'm sure that finding one million and one, would be just as good... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Neat story, one of my hunting buddies found a 1 dollar gold coin under a old tree on a old military road here in SW Mo. Now he is really lucky. ?How many of us take the time to run your coil under a barbed wire fence row in a well hunted area ? ?Well he did and he pulled out a beautifull US belt plate ! ?So now I always check fence rows, besides ?back in the day some farmers would toss cw stuff in the fence rows to keep the fields clear. Oh and the gold coin story was in a issue of Western and Eastern, but I dont remember the date.

My Brother-in-law found a 2 1/2 dollar gold piece in an old school yard in 1975. I found a second one a year later about 10 feet from where he found his. His was a 1911, and mine was 1909.
For a long time it was pretty hard to get excited about finding a wheat penny.
This story was published in W&E Treasures Gold & Silver Annual a number of years ago.

Nice finds for that guy!

Good story too!

(I've got a similar place I'm going to hunt soon)!

It's a 3 story "Stage Coach stop" from the early 1800s that was also a hotel & saloon on a major wagon trail from lower MI to upper MI until it was paved with wooden planks during the lumber boom (then) paved with brick during the 20s/30s until being paved with crushed stone which was then paved with black top shortly there-after... There's a restoration taking place as we speak...

Am working out the details, and coordinating everything to start soon! There's a 50/50 split agreement on anything with any monetary value...

It's been in the same family for the last 50+ yrs which they bought it from the original family, and,

according to them, it's never been detected ;D

I'll be posting any and all finds when I get started and until I finish!

HH

Lonewolfe

I love these kinds of stories because you can tell they're true.

I'm a very poor detectorists myself and don't find much but I know some who could make a full time living at treasure hunting. Some people just have that Mel Fisher touch.

Thanks

Maravedi​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back