Second class ring in less than 2 week (class ring # 30), a little silver, a dollar coin from the school and a trip to the scout camp

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went back to the K to 8 school. I have been having good luck there so I keep going back. I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 and found 75 coins with a face value of $5.86, 3 wheaties. 3 rings, a piece of silver jewelry, buttons, a flexible cross (never seen one before), a Superman emblem, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, foil and tabs.

DSCN3497.jpeg

DSCN3498.jpeg

The little piece of silver keeps my silver streak alive with 9 in a row. It is a charm or a pendant and looks like it is supposed to be a Native American cuff bracket with a little fake tourauiose bead. A very different find for me.

DSCN3499.jpeg

DSCN3500.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the middle school. Things are really slowing down and in 6 hours I only found 76 coins with a face value of $3.56, 3 more rings, a cheapie stainless knife that rusted in half, 2 Pepsi game tabs, an aluminum carabiner, a modern button, can slaw, tabs and pencil ends.

DSCN3501.jpeg

Overall the targets were sparse, but just when you think it’s time to bypass those pesky mid tones and leave the tabs in the ground, bam you dig up a big chunk of gold and all of a sudden those tab signals sound pretty good. This was about an inch away from the sidewalk. The signal was kind of iffy because of the rebar in the sidewalk. I almost didn’t dig it, but boy am I glad I did. It was about 5 inches down and is for the high school the students at this middle school will attend when they finish here. It is a 10k ring from 1976 that weighs 0.56 troy ounces or 17.4 grams a nice chunk of gold.

IMG_9033.jpeg

DSCN3502.jpeg

I had a class ring dry spell and hadn’t found one in 2 years and now I have found 2 in less than 2 weeks. I found the yearbook on line and now I’m trying to get contact info so I can make the return. So far this guy is being hard to find. The alumni association for this school ceased to operate about 4 years ago so I have to use other sources. The one phone number I found for him went to a business and he doesn’t work there so back to square one.

That ended my silver streak, but if you call it a precious metal streak I’m still ok with 10 hunts in a row.

DAY 3
I went to the park farthest to the west of me and did a water hunt in a swimming area that does not get a huge number of visitors. I usually find some gold or silver but this trip was a dud. I spent 5.5 hours with the ATPro and found 23 coins with a face value of $1.03, assorted cheapie jewelry, 2 automotive fuses, 4 pellet gun pellets, a brass rivet, a fishing swivel, 1.5 shell casings (.22 caliber), assorted fishing sinkers, 1 tiny piece of a tab (no whole ones) and an annoying amount of foil. The water here is not clear and you can only see the bottom in about 18 inches of water so chasing bits of foil around in 3 or 4 feet of water is a pain.

DSCN3503.jpeg

The stainless ring was probably the most promising signal of the day. I have water hunted for 22 years and recently found my first automotive fuse in the water and on this trip I found 2 more. That ends my precious metal streak.

DSCN3504.jpeg

DAY 4
I had time to go back to the scout camp and cover more sites that I haven’t done in a couple of years looking for new losses and older things off the main areas. I spent 7 hours swingin the CZ21 and covered one site and did a short survey of another. I found 110 coins with a face value of $11.40, 189 camp tent pegs, a neckerchief slide, a copper bird, a waterproof tag, a rope tensioner, sinkers, some personal tent pegs, 2 tabs, melted aluminum from the campfires and a whole soda can.

IMG_9044.jpeg

DSCN3505.jpeg

The slide is a new one that was lost this summer. It still looks like the day it was bought. The copper bird looks like an eagle. It was probably someone’s metalworking merit badge project. Most of them are pretty crude, but this one shows a lot of effort and talent. Not many scout finds on this trip, but the money was good and the camp got back a lot of pegs.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a few coins on our walks and a dollar bill on the floor at the mall. Nothing great, but it all spends so I’ll take it.

A nice big gold class ring made the week. The owners is being harder to find than I thought. The return may take awhile. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 15
That's some nice finds and great write-up, as always.

I spent 7 hours swingin the CZ21 and covered one site and did a short survey of another. I found 110 coins with a face value of $11.40, 189 camp tent pegs, a neckerchief slide, a copper bird, a waterproof tag, a rope tensioner, sinkers, some personal tent pegs, 2 tabs, melted aluminum from the campfires and a whole soda can.
I count at least 309 finds in that list. In 7 hours, that's an average of one recovery every 81 seconds. You are fast!

DAY 1
I went back to the K to 8 school. I have been having good luck there so I keep going back. I spent 6 hours with the CZ21 and found 75 coins with a face value of $5.86, 3 wheaties. 3 rings, a piece of silver jewelry, buttons, a flexible cross (never seen one before), a Superman emblem, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw, foil and tabs.

View attachment 2168736

View attachment 2168737

The little piece of silver keeps my silver streak alive with 9 in a row. It is a charm or a pendant and looks like it is supposed to be a Native American cuff bracket with a little fake tourauiose bead. A very different find for me.

View attachment 2168738

View attachment 2168739

DAY 2
I went back to the middle school. Things are really slowing down and in 6 hours I only found 76 coins with a face value of $3.56, 3 more rings, a cheapie stainless knife that rusted in half, 2 Pepsi game tabs, an aluminum carabiner, a modern button, can slaw, tabs and pencil ends.

View attachment 2168740

Overall the targets were sparse, but just when you think it’s time to bypass those pesky mid tones and leave the tabs in the ground, bam you dig up a big chunk of gold and all of a sudden those tab signals sound pretty good. This was about an inch away from the sidewalk. The signal was kind of iffy because of the rebar in the sidewalk. I almost didn’t dig it, but boy am I glad I did. It was about 5 inches down and is for the high school the students at this middle school will attend when they finish here. It is a 10k ring from 1976 that weighs 0.56 troy ounces or 17.4 grams a nice chunk of gold.

View attachment 2168741

View attachment 2168735

I had a class ring dry spell and hadn’t found one in 2 years and now I have found 2 in less than 2 weeks. I found the yearbook on line and now I’m trying to get contact info so I can make the return. So far this guy is being hard to find. The alumni association for this school ceased to operate about 4 years ago so I have to use other sources. The one phone number I found for him went to a business and he doesn’t work there so back to square one.

That ended my silver streak, but if you call it a precious metal streak I’m still ok with 10 hunts in a row.

DAY 3
I went to the park farthest to the west of me and did a water hunt in a swimming area that does not get a huge number of visitors. I usually find some gold or silver but this trip was a dud. I spent 5.5 hours with the ATPro and found 23 coins with a face value of $1.03, assorted cheapie jewelry, 2 automotive fuses, 4 pellet gun pellets, a brass rivet, a fishing swivel, 1.5 shell casings (.22 caliber), assorted fishing sinkers, 1 tiny piece of a tab (no whole ones) and an annoying amount of foil. The water here is not clear and you can only see the bottom in about 18 inches of water so chasing bits of foil around in 3 or 4 feet of water is a pain.

View attachment 2168742

The stainless ring was probably the most promising signal of the day. I have water hunted for 22 years and recently found my first automotive fuse in the water and on this trip I found 2 more. That ends my precious metal streak.

View attachment 2168743

DAY 4
I had time to go back to the scout camp and cover more sites that I haven’t done in a couple of years looking for new losses and older things off the main areas. I spent 7 hours swingin the CZ21 and covered one site and did a short survey of another. I found 110 coins with a face value of $11.40, 189 camp tent pegs, a neckerchief slide, a copper bird, a waterproof tag, a rope tensioner, sinkers, some personal tent pegs, 2 tabs, melted aluminum from the campfires and a whole soda can.

View attachment 2168744

View attachment 2168745

The slide is a new one that was lost this summer. It still looks like the day it was bought. The copper bird looks like an eagle. It was probably someone’s metalworking merit badge project. Most of them are pretty crude, but this one shows a lot of effort and talent. Not many scout finds on this trip, but the money was good and the camp got back a lot of pegs.

NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a few coins on our walks and a dollar bill on the floor at the mall. Nothing great, but it all spends so I’ll take it.

A nice big gold class ring made the week. The owners is being harder to find than I thought. The return may take awhile. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That's some nice finds and great write-up, as always.

I count at least 309 finds in that list. In 7 hours, that's an average of one recovery every 81 seconds. You are fast!
Nothing here is very deep so no shovel, just a pinpointer and a trowel for most stuff. I have recovered over 20,000 tent pegs from the camp so I have a special hand pick for pulling them and I know all the tricks for the stubborn ones. Fast recoveries are no problem here.

Thanks to all for the nice replies. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back