2 buttons I would love some info on.

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out this weekend for my first hunt of 2015 at an early 1800's homesite and had a heck of a day. I didn't have time to clean/photo everything and do a proper write up but hopefully that will come tomorrow:icon_scratch:

In the meantime I'm just too curious about these buttons and had to get them up here as soon as I could.

The first one is (as far as I know) a 23mm War of 1812 era U.S Infantry officers button. Though I have been unable to find an exact match for it on the web? All the ones I've seen that are a close match have 6 groups of vertical lines in the shield and other subtle differences.

Also would this be considered 1st Regiment? I cant tell if there was ever anything before RGMT, through a loup it almost looks like a small olive branch extending up the left side:icon_scratch:???

Any additional info would be great.

1812front.jpg1812back.jpg

This one is a real headscratcher to me as I've never dug a button of this design. Its 18mm dome shaped, seems to be brass that was painted black and has a blockhouse? engraved into the front. Not sure what was attached to the back of it or how but it almost reminds me of a cufflink? :dontknow: Again please feel free to educate me!

blockhouse_front.jpgblockhouse_back.jpg

Thanks for looking and HH,

Chris

Your are pretty much correct on your first button. It is shown in Albert's button book as 53R1A on page 27. Very nice find sir.

Upvote 0
Great buttons! That block house cufflink has to be related to Toledo, Ohio...maybe a militia or dignitary issue? Good luck, Sub 8-)
toledo.jpg

Upvote 0
Congrats on your finds and the confirmation of the first one. That is a very nice button. Hope you can get something on your second piece. Looks very unique.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back