1st time poster...funky button

Chitlin

Dec 7, 2007
South Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all... found this site a while back googling something I found..... turned out to be a Hessian soldiers button. I am lucky to live in a history rich environment (South Carolina), always loved finding stuff and recently began metal detecting.....and finally have some time to do it.

Found yesterday, this small pointed button with a 6 point star (for 2 1/2 hours of digging through trash)... here are a few pics.... just figguring my camera too..... the group photo is stuff from my yard, except the decorative piece on top, also found yesterday....

There is nothing marked on the back of the button and I don't think there ever was... you can see the pattern pretty well in the photo.... straight line, spoon shape, triangle pointing away from center of button, spoon shape, straight line...etc...also note dots on either side of triangles point....cool stuff... looking forward to being a part of and sharing with the folks on this site.... thanks in advance for any info...

Chitlin

Attachments

• 6 point star.JPG
    6 point star.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 6 point star1.JPG
    6 point star1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 6point star2.JPG
    6point star2.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 354
WELCOME FROM THE UK.

Mid-Victorian (1840-60) civilian button.

Upvote 0
Yup, mid-Victorian. Looks like a vest button to me.
Welcome to Tnet! Hope ya post lots of finds and pics.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the welcome and the info.....metal detecting can be quite addictive, I'll say that.... here is the button I googled that led me to this site... 3 legged eagle...the back is ugly corroded... I just like finding the stuff.... I read where there were alot of reproductions of this button, I hope this is the real deal... found very near where the star button was found, in Charleston.

Attachments

• Hessian.JPG
    Hessian.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 255
Upvote 0
I believe you have an old military button in your second pic. (top left)

Upvote 0
Chitlin said:
Thanks for the welcome and the info.....metal detecting can be quite addictive, I'll say that.... here is the button I googled that led me to this site... 3 legged eagle...the back is ugly corroded... I just like finding the stuff.... I read where there were alot of reproductions of this button, I hope this is the real deal... found very near where the star button was found, in Charleston.

Looks like a copy to me, but still nice

Upvote 0
Big Cypress, that is a Union Eagle button I believe is Civil War. I live on/near a fort and battle site. I found that button putting in a sidewalk at my front doorstep :D.... that was before the detector.

Crusader, here is a pic of the back... the flash makes it look wierd...the location of the find made me hope it was for real...oh well..thanks again for the welcome...I have some cool stuff and hopefully will be finding more this winter....

Attachments

• hessianback.JPG
    hessianback.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 194
Upvote 0
the wings spread eagle button with a sheild on chest --- is union enlisted mans button of the type used by union forces during the civil war --- that pattern of button was used from around from 1812 to around 1902 --- with many makers --- most have a back mark noting the manufactors name which can help greatly in "dating" the buttons time frame --- Ivan

Upvote 0
PBK, I think that was the thread that caused me to bookmark this site a few months ago.... yea, I guess I'll accept the fact that my "Hessian" button isn't real.... as my comment on the bottom says, I'm no stranger to disappointment... :'(

Ivan, the backmark on that one is hard to see.... Scovill (mfg co)????? then Waterbury with the "Y" of Waterbury ending near the "CO" part that comes after Scovill... with a dot inbetween...like I said the part after Scovill is hard to make out.... I have another similar yet ever so slightly different Eagle button also found in my yard.... it's kinda smashed and I can't see anything on the back... I'll post photos later....

Fun Stuff!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back