1st post....2 hours....1 relic

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
? Although I've enjoyed treasure hunting and this site for some time, this is my first attempt at sharing a story and hopefully a pic. I stopped at an old farm ruin today.Although somewhat overgrown, the skeletal remains of the foundation were still quite visible from the road.Given that this is on public land, Im sure the site has been worked over many times before, but as we all know "there is always something out there that got missed".Anyway; after two hours of fighting the tall grass and mountain ash I walked away with two ball jar lids, four horsefly bites and one neat old copper lock plate with a swinging brass leaf keyhole cover.Im not gonna get rich off of it but I was damn proud to prove my earlier quote one more time.If this post works I'll share some more productive days later.Thanks for listenin....JO

Attachments

• LastScan.jpg
    LastScan.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 277
Upvote 0
That's sweet! I would suggest mabee a weedwacker to get down some of the tall grass. That's the only way you'll get to all the old coins if there are any. HH Matt

Nice Piece That leaf is really cool I have never seen a cover for the keyhole that decorative. Nice work. If ya dont hit it with a weed eater at least go hit it in the fall and winter if weather permits. HH

Nice relic! Looking forward to more posts and pics! Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next hunt :)

That a neat find! I'm hunting a site like that, only with thorn apple tree branches at eye level and raspberry briers pulling at my detector. I have to give it a rest after I've been there...then I go back after a couple of weeks and battle mother nature again.

Good luck!

Kool lock plate.......Hunting in the ruins can pay dividends,if you can put up with bites,punctures,cuts,and that ringing in your ears from all the overload.....Most people won't hunt these sites ,because it takes a dedicated effort.....I wonder if there is a cache buried there ? If so ,,,I hope YOU are the one that finds it.......Good Luck and H.H.

Your persistence really paid off. Very nice old lock plate.
I like the detail on that cover.
Hope to see more posts from you on that farm site.
Good luck to you on your next hunt there.

Thanks for the tip on the weed-wacker guys....more yard work. Actually the old grass is packed into such a mat under the new that wacking the tall stuff wouldnt get me much nearer the ground.I think I'll wait on this site until first thaw next year and try again. (hope to have a new toy by then). In the meantime I'll hope for a prarie fire in the area. I did go to a local play area this morning.The kids were good to me.I walked away with about a dollar in clad, two 14k hoop earings (not a pair), one big gold colored earing and one cheapie toe ring! Not to shab for about an hour long walk-about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back