19th Century Tintype Photograph and More! Photo Enthusiasts Dream!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
19th Century Tintype Photograph and More! Photo Enthusiast's Dream!

A bunch of really cool old photos I found today from the contents of a curbside house-clean out. They're all from the late 19th to very early 20th century. One photo depicts the SS Queen Mary on her first ever visit to New York City. Most photos have very accurate descriptions on the backs of them which I have provided next to them for your viewing. This is some very interesting stuff! Enjoy!

The boxes they were all in:
DSC08796.JPGDSC08797.JPG

The 1800's Tintype:
DSC08798.JPGDSC08802.JPG

The first visit of SS Queen Mary to NYC in 1936:
DSC08803.JPGDSC08807.JPG

Tornado storm damage to their farm:
DSC08808.JPGDSC08809.JPG

DSC08810.JPGDSC08811.JPG

DSC08812.JPG

2-1/2-year-old-Edna didn't want her picture "tooken":
DSC08813.JPGDSC08814.JPG

Bay Ridge Brooklyn in 1908:
DSC08815.JPGDSC08816.JPG
DSC08817.JPG

Bay Ridge 1909:
DSC08818.JPGDSC08819.JPG

Family with their "new car" 1920 Packard:
DSC08820.JPGDSC08821.JPG

Going on a voyage to Germany 1926:
DSC08822.JPGDSC08823.JPG

Rockaway Beach 1913:
DSC08824.JPGDSC08825.JPG

Back when this mustache was still socially acceptable:
DSC08827.JPG

Upvote 10
What a great find. You could be surprised what vintage photos can bring. I love the cats and jammer brooklyn photos with dog and trashy lot. Photos that are mounted and signed or larger format, say 8x10, and images on metal that are not of people but rather landscapes or architectural in nature can be very valuable. Once again a nice score you da king of New York.

Now that's treasure my friend !- unique, priceless glimpses into a bygone era of America's history . Little 2 1/2 year old
Edna appears to be holding a Steif "Teddy Bear " this would be worth real bucks today (What a sweet pic !) the later
pic with the Ladies in and around the Packard - now what exactly are those ladies drinking ? Sweet Tea ? BEER ?????
The Women's Christian Temperance Union might be a bit uncomfortable with that photo (Prohibition started in 1919)

Great history. Try finding the people with last names on Ancestory.com and post them there. I did that and family members contacted me. I ended up giving them the photos.

Liking the QM photo, 70 yrs later I did a 2 weeker on the QMII

Just wonderful. Pictures with descriptions included are a rare find, and certainly makes them more valuable,

pretty awesome - I look at any house clean-out I see - until/if someone chases me off - what else was in there

Now that's treasure my friend !- unique, priceless glimpses into a bygone era of America's history . Little 2 1/2 year old
Edna appears to be holding a Steif "Teddy Bear " this would be worth real bucks today (What a sweet pic !) the later
pic with the Ladies in and around the Packard - now what exactly are those ladies drinking ? Sweet Tea ? BEER ?????
The Women's Christian Temperance Union might be a bit uncomfortable with that photo (Prohibition started in 1919)

Holy smokes you're right! And look what's in the hand of that man at the bottom! That's a booze bottle for sure in his left hand! Also I just realized that's little Edna (older now) standing in the Packard smiling with a booze bottle in her hand too! Looks like she's a little too smiley to be sober, and the bottle is pretty much empty. Prohibition be damned! :D

Also it appears Edna was the one who wrote most of the descriptions on the "newer" photos as that photo with the Packard reads, "my parents and me, Edna in Kaplan's Packard car." The older photos with the blue pen ink were written by someone older than her and then years later she wrote in additional information in pencil. Such can be seen on that photo of Edna with her teddy bear.

Last edited:
I would do whatever is possible to reconnect these photos with surviving family members (grandchildren , whatever ) perhaps some
county records would give you some last name information of earlier residents /owners of the house where you found these . A
careful chronology of the information provided on the backs of all the pictures in conjunction with the dates will help as well .
Librarians are an awesome source for helping with a project like this - Definitely keep us posted if you can make a connection!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back