1986 d penny double die?

Hightek

Sep 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just pick up another box this weekend and found this 1986 d penny. The date and mint mark looks like it's doubling. Any idea if this is a double die or just pmd.??? image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 280
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I cant really tell with the picture. Could u take close ups of date and make sure it is focused please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I tried but the closer I get my camera lose focus..how do you guys take a close one picture so clear?

With my phone i set it the coin on paper then take a book or cup and let the camera hang off cause then it is stable and you can focus/zoom easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I tried but the closer I get my camera lose focus..how do you guys take a close one picture so clear?

See if there is a "macro" focus option in your settings. Remember to change back to "auto" focus after taking the close up.

Just added a new pic..I hope this helps

Not a Double die. It is either die wear, or zinc rot... Trust me I had a same looking coin with the mint mark looking like a double die, when i asked on another forum they told me it was zinc rot..

I heard from another forum saying its plate splitting. Is this a error worth keeping?

It's caused by a very worn die. Also, the correct term is "doubled" die. No more than face value.

I would go crazy lookin for error coins we see what we want to see

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back