buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
1970's & 80's Silver Dollar Hoards!

The Redfield Hoard:
Lavene Redfield would amass $1K in Currency, then would purchase a Bag of 1K Silver $. This went on for yrs. He would toss the bags down a coal chute to his basement. Upon his death in 1974, 600 "Bags" were discovered.
Total= 600,000 Silver Dollars.

The Continental- Ill. Nat'l Bank Hoard:
This Bank kept a % of its Reserves in Silver Dollars for over 100 yrs.
Totals= 1k Original Bags of BU+ Morgans, & 500 Bags of Circ. Morgans.
= 1.5M Coins.

Re: 1970's & 80's Silver Dollar Hoards!

CYN: I just punched in Coin Caches on Yahoo, then Scrolled down the Pages. Page 3, #30 Eureka!

There's also a couple pages in the new 07 Red Book!

Elementary, my dear, Elementary!

JOE

Re: 1970's & 80's Silver Dollar Hoards!

buscadero said:
The Redfield Hoard:
Lavene Redfield would amass $1K in Currency, then would purchase a Bag of 1K Silver $. This went on for yrs. He would toss the bags down a coal chute to his basement. Upon his death in 1974, 600 "Bags" were discovered.
Total= 600,000 Silver Dollars.

The Continental- Ill. Nat'l Bank Hoard:
This Bank kept a % of its Reserves in Silver Dollars for over 100 yrs.
Totals= 1k Original Bags of BU+ Morgans, & 500 Bags of Circ. Morgans.
= 1.5M Coins.

The question is...did he leave it all in his basement or did he go hiding it somewhere? I heard a story about a guy local to my area that found about 1K in Morgans stacked in a foundation wall while detecting. Now the rub...the coins were marked with the prior landowners initials (must have passed away and never told anyone of the stash), so he couldn't get rid of the darn things, without melting them down and cutting their value. What he did next is ingenius and unethical, but still very smart. He went back to the property owner and somehow convinced him that he had not been on the property yet, and also convinced the owner to sign a waiver stating that the guy could keep anything he found. Smart guy. Very unethical.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back