1944-S Merc dime ~ 1914 Wheat cent ~ RED RYDER lucky coin

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
Hello!

I met up with Ron downtown for a 2 hour hunt after work today. I sure love the time change ~ we can detect almost until 8:pm now before it's too dark to see! We met up on a street that has a huge grassy median strip running right down the middle of the street. There's been some goodies pulled out of there over the last few years, but we figured we better try it again to see what we missed! Here's what I dug:

1944-S Mercury Dime
1914 Wheat cent (No "S" or "D")
RED RYDER Lucky coin (circa late '40's)
8 other wheat cents dating from 1939 to 1954
6 clad quarters
8 clad dimes
3 modern nickels
13 memorial cents

I took a close-up picture of the date area on the 1914 Wheat cent ~ too bad it wasn't a "D" mint! This is the 2nd RED RYDER lucky coin I've found in the last week! 17 years of metal detecting and I hadn't found one until last week ~ now I've got two of 'em!

Thanks for looking!
Neil

Attachments

• March22-2010coins.jpg
    March22-2010coins.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 657
  • March22-2010wheat1914.jpg
    March22-2010wheat1914.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 620
  • March22-2010merc.jpg
    March22-2010merc.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 602
Upvote 0
that Red Ryder token is wicked cool :icon_thumleft:

Tank69 said:
that Red Ryder token is wicked cool :icon_thumleft:

Thanks!

Yeah, My buddy Ron found one last year ~ before that I had never seen one! Now I've dug two of them in the last week! I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

8^)

Nice finds!!.... I have to agree with Allen it looks to me that there is a mint mark under the 1914 but maybe its just my eyes playin tricks with me.

Bomgoat said:
Nice finds!!.... I have to agree with Allen it looks to me that there is a mint mark under the 1914 but maybe its just my eyes playin tricks with me.

THANKS!

OK ~ I went and checked it again ~ sure enough there's NO mintmark. But, you're right, the picture I posted does kinda look like there's something in the mintmark area ~ but there isn't a mint mark! DANG!

Great finds! The originator of Red Ryder, Fred Harmon lived in Pagosa Springs CO. There is the local museum by his name here. HH
Doc

Congrats Neil on the silver dime and the
1914-(wishful hopeing) wheat cent. Now
the Red Ryder lucky coins are coming out
of the woodwork. LOL What's up with that???
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back