1944 Merc Dime, or is this a Wheat Penny?

hns11550

Sep 23, 2006
St Louis Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My grandfather gave my Dad his coin collection, and while going through the coins, he found a 1944 merc dime and on the reverse side it is of a wheat penny. The coin in question is the one on the lower right. The clad penny on top and the clad dime on the lower left are for size comparison. The Wheat side is copper, although it looks different because of the flash. My question is, were there really coins struck like this, or is this man mad...after this left the mint? Has anyone seen something like this? Any thought are welcomed!
[/img]

Attachments

• Kyle 021 copy.jpg
    Kyle 021 copy.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 339
  • Kyle 026 copy.jpg
    Kyle 026 copy.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 347
man that is weird! never seen anything like it. if i had to guess ( and i do) i would say that it was somehow altered after it left the mint. it just seems like too big of a mistake for the mint to make, being a silver, smaller blank than a penny. very interesting nonetheless. i hope someone on here knows for sure and can give you a definitive answer.

Upvote 0
If that wheat side was silver it would be worth a Toyota. Having two different metals means it wasn't a mint mis-strike from a misplaced blank or wrong die in the press. Someone had to purposely alter the coin(s) for your example.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back