1928 SLQ today--great story!

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Wow, never give up! I had gone to the old swimming hole about 5 times in a row since late last year without finding any silver. In the past I had found 2-3 silver coins each trip for about 10 trips, so I was truly convinced I had cleaned it out, but at the same time I figured there had to be at least one more hiding somewhere. I get my detector out of the trunk and last year it had snapped near the base above the coil and I crazy glued it and duct taped it. Worked fine for many outings. I noticed today it had snapped again and just the tape was holding it together. So I start searching and next thing I get a good silver/copper signal and a 1917 wheatie. Same thing a little while later and a 1951 wheatie. I then got a memorial penny, which aren't too common there since it's an old site. I took the penny and said outloud (ever do that when you are alone?)--"I'm going to throw this in the creek for good luck to find silver"--with that I tossed it in the creek. A little while later I got a 1940 wheatie. A while later I had about 15 minutes left before I had to leave and decided to search a hilly area where people used to lay out in the sun decades ago, but an area I had searched many times well. By now the bottom third of the detector and coil is hanging from the tape at a right angle to the main part of the detector, so when I swung it, it went back and forth quickly and looked ready to fly off (kind of like the little character of Leon in his posts). So back and forth along the hill I go and get another good signal. Dig, dig, dig. BINGO!! 1928 SLQ, really nice condition, clear date and everything. Sorry my camera can't focus that close, but here it is. Wish I could do it justice with a better picture. Great day!

Attachments

• tn_slq.jpg
    tn_slq.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0
Great find! However, don't throw all that money back into the water. You will need some for some more glue! This was a great story and thanks for sharing it with us. You are way ahead of me in finding things.

NC Barefoot2

Thats a really great find for runnin' with a crippled rig.
As I'm sure you've heard the saying before"Where theres wheat there's silver ?
?This sure holds true in your case. WTG!

Great story... I'm an old heat and air guy, we use duct tape to fix everything.....heck you can tow a car with duct tape........

Great Story Bergie, I have this picture in my head now of Qausi Motto swinging a detector through the halls of Notre Dame. LOL Nice SLQ
Have a great one and get that shaft repaired before someone sees ya. LOL HH

Great finds!! Sounds like time for a new shaft. Or glue it and get some electrical wiring shrink wrap and shrink it with a hair dryer. HH

great find! if you have a dig. camera try turning it to the flower setting! its for taking close up pics! wtg!

:D And just one more use for the ever faithful Duct tape. I have my bullseye wrapped in red duct tape because the screw keeps falling out. Great find
MChamby :)

Bergie, Good story-telling! I remember your first story about it breaking, surprised to hear you were still swinging it. That site sounds like an awesome site. Good going.

Bergie, your one determined hunter,I can see the roll of duct tape that hangs from your belt loop ;D. Grats on the great finds and the story.HH

Good Deal, Bergie!!!!
I remember some of the coins you were pulling out of there, awesome site...
You've been kinda quiet over the winter, hope to see more from ya...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back