1922-23 Gymnastic Medal

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Gymnastics medal,and am trying to find out university it came from! The medal has George S. Boatrights name along with what I believe to be J.C.U. John Carrol University a jesuit college in Ohio. The thing is the medal also has a makers mark on back of W.M. GCHRIDGE CHICAGO .

Anyone know what university is depicted on the medal?

I have not been able to locate a Boatright that knows anything about this medal. I sure would like to return it to the owner if he is still alive,or atleast a relative!

Anyone else know

Attachments

• SG1L3368.JPG
    SG1L3368.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 787
Mackaydon said:
Have you tried contacting this GSB, one time Asst. Professor and Head, Access Service, Library. University of Oklahoma?
Source: (page 219) http://www.tamuk.edu/sacs/newsacs/pdfs/2002-2004gradcatalogp218-241.pdf
Don.....

Thanks Mackaydon not yet!

I think it may be easier to figure out the organization on the medal first,then contact them to find records of Gymnastic competitions,and or his name through them. Problem is there are a few organizations like

COMMISSION JUNCTION UNIV.
JEFFERSON UNITARIAN CH.
JOHN CARROLL UNIV. OHIO
UNIV. COUNCIL JAMAICA
UNITED JEWISH COMM.

probably more but I am not sure on the medal if its jcu ucj cju cuj... see what I mean. The other thing is the J is backwards if it is a J "need more help"

Upvote 0
Heres a couple back pics also the name is w.m. schridde. Third pic is off ebay with same mark!

Attachments

• SG1L3437.JPG
    SG1L3437.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 747
  • backmark.jpg
    backmark.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 710
  • 2052_chic3.jpg
    2052_chic3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 747
Upvote 0
Jazdo said:
Mackaydon said:
Have you tried contacting this GSB, one time Asst. Professor and Head, Access Service, Library. University of Oklahoma?
Source: (page 219) http://www.tamuk.edu/sacs/newsacs/pdfs/2002-2004gradcatalogp218-241.pdf
Don.....

Thanks Mackaydon not yet!

I think it may be easier to figure out the organization on the medal first,then contact them to find records of Gymnastic competitions,and or his name through them. Problem is there are a few organizations like

COMMISSION JUNCTION UNIV.
JEFFERSON UNITARIAN CH.
JOHN CARROLL UNIV. OHIO
UNIV. COUNCIL JAMAICA
UNITED JEWISH COMM.

probably more but I am not sure on the medal if its jcu ucj cju cuj... see what I mean. The other thing is the J is backwards if it is a J "need more help"

just -geese .. I really dont know for sure. Maybe they are not letters.

Upvote 0
I took the liberty to email another George S. Boatright who is the genealogist for the family. Here is his response:
"Don,
Best guess, and seems to fit the Chicago connection, is George Stuart Boatright, born 1910. Parents were Alva and Grace Boatright:

http://www.boatwrightgenealogy.com/johnboatwright10.6.html#10-1138

I don't know anyone in this line of our family, but will keep a look out for them. Thanks. George"
If you ever want to follow up with this George S. Boatright, here is his address:
[email protected]
Don...

Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
I took the liberty to email another George S. Boatright who is the genealogist for the family. Here is his response:
"Don,
Best guess, and seems to fit the Chicago connection, is George Stuart Boatright, born 1910. Parents were Alva and Grace Boatright:

http://www.boatwrightgenealogy.com/johnboatwright10.6.html#10-1138

I don't know anyone in this line of our family, but will keep a look out for them. Thanks. George"
If you ever want to follow up with this George S. Boatright, here is his address:
[email protected]
Don...

thanks Don .. i think that is the right person George Stuart Boatright. Coincidentally I found the medal in Stuart,Ia Guthrie county.

Upvote 0
A people search by Zabasearch shows a George S Boatright from Illinois, born 1910, now living in Sturgeon Bay, WI. Phone 920-743-9879, wife Mary.
A Social Security Death Index shows a GSB, born 1910, died 2005.
Wouldn't a birthdate of 1910 be a little too late for a medal given in 1923?

Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
Here's another GSB living in the Chicago area now.
He may be able to provide you with a lead.
GSB
GSB Realty
21120 Lakeview Pkwy.
Mundelein, IL 60060

Office Phone: (847) 471-1318
Mick: I agree.
Don I just called and left a message with these people! Asked if his parents were Alva and Grace
there is a GSB in wilmette ill, which is cook county where his parents resided,its also 15 miles from chicago! but no phone # for him his age is 97 or 99. I did a search on white pages.

it almost has to be one of these if he is still alive

Upvote 0
mick56 said:
A people search by Zabasearch shows a George S Boatright from Illinois, born 1910, now living in Sturgeon Bay, WI. Phone 920-743-9879, wife Mary.
A Social Security Death Index shows a GSB, born 1910, died 2005.
Wouldn't a birthdate of 1910 be a little too late for a medal given in 1923?

I talked to my aunt a bit and she mentioned that gymnastics may have been like gym class back then. I was thinking college or private school. If he was 13 it had to be private school or a regular school. If it was indeed just gym class medal given that would make sense.

Upvote 0
mick56 said:
I can't think of a reason the J would be backwards. Maybe it is an L?

Could very well be. The U makes me think university,but wouldnt it be impossible if he was 13 years old?

Loyola University Chicago would be a option if it is a L. :icon_scratch:

the phone # 920-743-9879 has been disconnected!

Upvote 0
I emailed Loyola University of Chicago, here is the response.

Mike,
Below my message is the response I got about this medal. Sounds like pretty reliable info. I forwarded your message to John Boatright; one of Loyola's brightest professors. He sent the email to someone in his family that studies genealogy, and who is writing this response. I hope this info is useful to you. Please let me hear from you either way, so that I can pass the info along to Dennis and John.

From Dennis Boatright:

After a quick search of various genealogical records, I found a limited number of references to 'George S. Boatright' and most seemed to be the same person:
1. 1910 census record, Cook Co., IL lists:
Alva E. Boatright Head age 25 Railroad clerk
Grace B " Wife " 22
George S. " Son ca. 2 mo.

2. Social Security Death Index:
George S. Boatright
b. 31 Mar 1910
d. 24 Sep 2005
Last known address....Sturgeon Bay, Door Co., WI

3. Illinois marriage records:
George S. Boatright m. Mary V. Clendinin
Cook Co., IL
26 Sep 1940

This George would have been 13 years old in 1923, so the medallion might have been some sort of school recognition. I have this person in my data and he is a descendant of a brother of our JAMES.

It might be possible to find an obituary in his local (Sturgeon Bay, WI) newspaper which might some survivor(s) name(s).

A few years ago I helped trace descendant of owner of a high school ring found via metal detector on a beach in Florida.

Let me know if your friend is able to go any further.

Have a good weekend...

Dennis

Dennis G Boatright
5310 Kingsmill Rd
Friendswood, TX 77546
Email: [email protected]

--- On Fri, 11/7/08, John Boatright <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: Fwd: logo
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008, 12:43 PM

Dennis, you might be interested in the forwarded email chain (with a photograph)concerning a medal awared to a George S. Boatright. According to you recentcompilation, there is no George S. who would have been active in 1923, but youmight have other information.In responding to this email enquiry, I found your geneology (dated January2008) online. It is very impressive, and I am in awe of the work thisrepresents and thankful for all your dedication to the family geneology.I have two recent additions. Rob (2076) now teaches political science at ClarkUniverisity in Worchester, MA, and he and Audrey have a second child (our onlygirl grandchild), Dara Sage, born February 25, 2007, in Worcester.All is well with us. I'm still teaching in the B-School at Loyola U.Chicago. Claudia just retired from teaching, and we're enjoying life, doinga lot of traveling and
visiting with grandchildren. I hope all is well withyou.All the best,JohnJohn R. BoatrightRaymond C. Baumhart, SJ, Professor of Business EthicsSchool of Business AdministrationLoyola University Chicago820 N. Michigan AvenueChicago, IL 60611-2147Tel. 312-915-6994Fax 312-915-6988E-mail: [email protected]://homepages.luc.edu/~jboatri

Upvote 0
Thanks for helpin me out everyone.. I been at work all wkend so have not done much else!

Upvote 0
Thanks for helpin me out everyone.. I been at work all wkend so have not done much else!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and came across this. I have a similar badge with that same front logo made by Wm. Schridde and might now what it is. However, mine has nothing to do with gymnastics. I'm confused - is the back of the badge you photographed the same as the one you show in your first picture? If not what is on the back other than the Schridde makers mark?

Upvote 0
Am I too late with this?

Coincidentally I found the medal in Stuart,Ia Guthrie county.

From South Oak Grove Cemetery in Guthrie County Iowa:

c039_boatright_m_id768461.jpg

I think this is your guy.

DCMatt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the obituary

Boatright, George Stuart - Chicago Tribune

Boatright, George Stuart

October 14, 2005

George Stuart Boatright, 95, of Sturgeon Bay, WI, formerly of Glenview, IL, passed away Sept. 24, 2005. He is survived by his loving wife of 65 years, Mary; son, G.S. "Chip" (Nancy) Boatright Jr.; daughter, Susan Dick; three grandchildren; four great-grandchildren. Inurnment was in Stuart, IA. Memorial gifts may be made to a favorite charity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back