1918 US Military gun holster

Chapeldreamer

Jun 8, 2012
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased this holster at a yard sale. What I do know is that it is government issue, has all brass hardware, the US stamp was applied on the grain side of the leather and it is stamped G&K 1918 A.G. on the back. What I do not know is what kind of gun was this for, who made it, and who likely would have carried it?

1918 US gun holster 007 (768x1024).jpg
1918 US gun holster 013 (1024x768).jpg
1918 US gun holster 008 (1024x768).jpg
1918 US gun holster 012 (1024x768).jpg

Your holster is for a M1917 Colt .45 ACP revolver. G & K is for Graton & Knight. G & K made more than 487,000 of these so they're not very rare. Other companies made them also. AG would be the initials of the inspector.

The Model 1917 Smith and Wesson .45 ACP was also used with that holster. Mine fit quite nicely. Here is a photo of the revolver, holster, "half-moon" ammo clips, and the three-tiered ammo pouch used on the belt. You found a very nice piece of military history. Congrats! Sub1917.jpg

Upvote 0
Dang, that's an odd shape for a 1911 .45 ACP. The ones I saw in the service were shaped different. But I guess you could carry one in a toe sack in an emergency! M:thumbsup:nty

Upvote 0
Well, It might be a .45 cal pistol,But it aint a ACP...Acp=Automatic colt pistol, Just saying....

Upvote 0
ACP

Well, It might be a .45 cal pistol,But it aint a ACP...Acp=Automatic colt pistol, Just saying....

Yes, it is a 45 ACP. The 45 ACP is a cartridge designation, and the revolver is chambered for the 45 ACP cartridge. Colt developed the 45 auto cartridge around 1904 or so, i'm not sure of the exact date. The first Colt pistol I know of chambered for the new 45 ACP was the 1905 Colt. It was advertising, they wanted to make sure everyone knew who developed the cartridge and not to confuse it with the many other 45 caliber cartridges around. The already had a 45 Colt, developed for the Single action army, and needed to distinguish the new cartridge with a designation that would not confuse it with the 45 Colt. So they named the cartridge the 45 Automatic Colt Pistol, or 45 ACP for short.

The use of the 45 ACP in the revolver with 3 round half-moon clips was a wartime expedient. This was done to make the ammunition supply problems simpler during wartime. Both Colt and Smith and Wesson was making a large frame revolver in 44 and 45 caliber, so they just adapted their large frame revolvers to chamber the 45 acp round, so they could get them in service as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back