1916 INDIAN HEAD NICKEL

suzyqdogs

Jul 4, 2005
I'm new to metal detecting (about 1 1/2 months) Went to an old field where they played baseball and had picnics. This was in use from the late 1800's till around 1970. Found a 1943 silver dime and some clad. Just before leaving I decided to dig a nickel signal even though someone told me that if it shows as nickel it's usually junk. The nickel popped out at only about 2 inches. Imagine finding this coin in the Brandon Hills in Manitoba! Now I'm totally hooked!!! All words are very clear. Can anyone tell me about it? Sorry, I don't have pictures.

Upvote 0
Great finds!! Its actaully called a buffalo nickel :) check for a small D or S minmark, also check to see if the writing looks doubled. Thats a good date, worth 5-9 bucks in worst condition, im sure yours is worth alot more. Heres a pic:

Attachments

• 1916_buffalo_nickel_obv.jpg
    1916_buffalo_nickel_obv.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 461
It doesn't have an D or S so I assume it was minted in Philidelphia? It doesn't look to be doubled either, too bad!

Yep i think that means Philidelphia...make sure to look close because the one in the pic below is doubled and you can barely tell.

Welcome to the forum, & the hobby...
Looks like your off to a great start, WTG!!!
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Congrats on the nickel. But let me encourage you to dig all of the nickel signals. It could also be a gold ring or gold coin. I did every signal except foil, and thats only low foil. I have found a lot of great things digging what appears to be junk. It takes a bit longer, but you find a lot more...congrats...Lance

Thanks for all your help! I am TOTALLY addicted now. It's hard to go to work when all I want to do is play!

? ? ? Only 1 1/2 months your doing great!!? ? Nice finds!!? ? ?Keep that place in mind.? The more experience you gain, no telling what you might pull out of there.? ? ? ?WTG!!? ? ? ?HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back