1909 VDB

ES66

Oct 3, 2008
Eagan, MN
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I hunted a 1896 house in St. Paul today. Unfortunately, after a few digs, I realized that in the not too distant past, the original yard had been covered with a layer of black dirt. It was the cleanest black dirt I've seen. Not a stone or pebble in it. It went down at least five inches. So everything I found was between the surface and two inches - all modern coins and tons of zincolns. The only part of the yard that hadn't been covered was the boulevard. That's where I found a 1909 VDB wheat. There wasn't a "S", but it was still a cool find. Also, the homeowner said the previous owner had been a drug dealer and that there had been a shootout in the yard at one time. I did find a handgun slug in the yard, which she wanted to keep. From there I stopped for a quick hunt at an old park and uncovered a 1944 wheat and 89 cents in clad.

Attachments

• 09VDBfnt.jpg
    09VDBfnt.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 803
  • 09VDBbk.jpg
    09VDBbk.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 808
  • 44wheat.jpg
    44wheat.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 799
Upvote 0
That's in great shape, early Wheaties don't fare well out here.
Good stuff.
Carl

Too bad no S. But a cool coin non theless. :icon_thumleft:

1909 v.d.b.........where is that S? Where is that S? WHAT? a 1909 S V.D.B......missing the S......a super rare coin.....
ok.....maybe not, but we can hope with you, can't we? :) Good finds.....maybe next time will be THE TIME.....hope so.

Damn over burden

It reminds me of a few years back when I was detecting without my glasses on. I found what I knew was a Mercury Dime, but there was no way I could see a date. I asked a passerby if he could read the date and he told me 1916. I asked him to please look at the lower left on the reverse side to see if there was a letter "D". He said no, but I was still hopefull. Needless to say, I cut my outing short, only to find that this was not the coin I was hoping for.

Nice find, just the same!

Great find. I have ran across that same issue with yards being built over older yards. Makes the quest for depth even more desirable.

Great find nonetheless! Were you using your white's? i would think that "up to 5 inches of added soil" would still give you a shot at finding coins. Aren't white's capable of finding coins deep? Like around 10+ inches?
HH
mikesand

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back