1909 VBD, NOW WHAT, DO I CLEAN? OTHER COINS TOO.

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy all. I just recovered a 1909 VDB which I started to toothpick. Now What? I know it's not key date, but is rarer than some. Is it OK to toothpick/clean further? I also got 5 Indian heads (two went back to the owner for his father), a silver Rosie, a decent 36 Buffalo nickel and several wheaties. Thanks for looking and Keep Swinging!!

Attachments

• file1-9.jpeg
    file1-9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 186
  • file-29.jpeg
    file-29.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 150
  • file2-5.jpeg
    file2-5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 126
Upvote 14
looks like a good day. I would run water over the cent and use my fingers to clean it. Since its likely well worn cleaning the coin will not impact its value much.

Everyone will have their own opinion on this one, so here's mine. As long as it doesn't have the S mint mark, if it were mine, I would just let it soak in water, and very lightly use a toothbrush to get the dirt off. Then, I would put it in a 2x2 cardboard coin holder, and into my binder it goes. I usually just put Wheats into a paper coin sleeve from the bank, but because it is a VDB, I would keep it separate in my collection. Any coppers that are dug, are considered Environmentally Damaged, so I'm sure its not worth sending away to be slabbed, because it would cost you more than the coin is worth. I would just bask in your moment of glory, and enjoy your coin ! Nice find.

Nice finds I also found one with no s but I'm still looking at the penny for the s I missed lol

Definitely clean it up, but lightly and gradually to try to maintain a consistent patina. It looks like it will have great details. Use some nose grease to add some shine. The Buffalo is very nice as well. Looks like you are on a great spot with the IHPs popping out. Congrats

Congrats on the nice find! :icon_thumleft:

IMHO: I would clean it with a toothpick and soft toothbrush...no water. Copper coins usually do not fair well when washed/cleaned in water; especially if they are "farm fresh".

Here she is cleaned up a little more. Thanks for all your inputs. Keep Swinging!!

Attachments

• file-30.jpeg
    file-30.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 87
  • file1-10.jpeg
    file1-10.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
Nice job. GL out there.:thumbsup:

Nice handful of coins. Beautiful job on the clean up. Congrats

Looks like a great hunt, some really nice coins and buttons, congrats on all the saves

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back